Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting energy from cycling into energy that would power a television, radio etc.

Options
  • 29-04-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

I know it sounds wacky but I'm planning on making a full size spinning bike for my FYP. However, I'd like to use the power you generate from cycling to power a television or radio etc.. so it'd be an incentive to cycle for an hour.. 60mins cycling=30mins tv or something like that!

This was the most relevent place I could find for this so hopefully some of u mad scientists can be of assistance to me..

Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Im not an engineer or anything related, but the basics of this are fairly simple. Dynamo connected to bike connected to capacitor/some kind of charging device which can then be used to operate electrical equipment. Unfortunately looking at an evaluation of different dynamos here: http://pilom.com/BicycleElectronics/Dynamo.htm, the output doesn't seem to be powerful enough to power a high drain device like a tv. Should power a radio or something like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Sound thanks a million for that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check the cycling forumn for more info on wattage

car alternator would be too powerful - look at permenant magnet motors like on windscrene wipers instead

even if you can't power a TV you could power a relay so the TV goes off it you stop pedaling and besdes the heat you generate and the higher body temperature will enable you to turn down the thermostat saving much more energy than you generate

Advertisement