Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer - Fixed Term Contractor

Options
  • 29-04-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I am 26 years old and have been working professionally for years but always a a fixed term contractor. My question is do you need to be a permanent employee ti get mortgage approval? would it be easier now that the banks need business? any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

you need a few years audited accounts. i think it used to be 5 years, but i could be wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You do not need to be a permanent employee to get a mortgage (but it helps).
    The area you are working in will assist in getting a mortgage (certain sectors are far more resiliant than others).
    As per above- several years of certified accounts are the norm.
    It is not easier to get a mortgage in the current climate- if anything its gotten a lot more difficult.
    The norm is now 80% mortgages if in secure employment (i.e. civil servants, doctors etc) subject to a maximum of 5 times primary income + 1.5 times secondary. In no cases are bonuses or overtime allowable as reckonable income for mortgage purposes.

Many people consider this harsh- but its actually a return to normal prudent lending practices.

Advertisement