Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring Laptop / New Operating system.

Options
  • 29-04-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello.
    I'm after getting a laptop that my job was giving away. I want to use it to store files like my itunes music cause recently my hard drive broke and it was a pain in the ass putting the cd's back on.

So,
    1st: I want to know how to do the restore to clean the drive. :confused:

It worked fine when i got it, tho i don't have the pass word to access it. Then my self proclaimed computer expert friend said he could fix it and did some restore thing on startup and now it say's "windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this". At least i've learned never to trust my friend again.....

2nd: How do i put a new OS on the computer.:confused:

I have no OS disc. Linux is free right?
    Would i be able to put it on the laptop?

The laptop is: HP Compaq 6710b

Thanks in advance for your help....

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If you want to put linux on it, download a bootable disk copy, burn it to a disk, pop it in your drive and load to the CD drive.

Follow the install instructions then.

Other then that, (im not sure what your tech friend did), try boot into safe mode. F8 I think (its one of those function buttons).

It might let you log on as admin without a password, once in, go to control panel, user accounts, select the main account, change password, and off you go.

But depending on what your friend did (windows did not started successfully), it might be linux all the way

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check on the unix forum too

Just download http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

You can boot off the CD and try it out before installing, and it runs much faster when installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mikey One

I'm just waiting for ubuntu to install at the moment.

I just installed it straight away so still waiting to see what it's like.

Advertisement