Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked Sternum / Non Union of Sternum

Options
  • 29-04-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hey folks,

Found out recently that I cracked my sternum and it hasnt fused back so may need surgery to insert a bone graph from my hip and a plate to fix it together.

At the moment I am using a bone growth stimulator each evening for 20 mins so hopefully this will work.

Has anyone had this type of injury before and how did it go? It hurts when I sneeze/cough and when I make sudden upper body movements.

I sustained the injury playing rugby 12 months ago!!

It would be great to hear of someone with a similar injury.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

hey, i haven't been to a doctor or anything about it because luckily enough i havent experienced too much discomfort with it, but i think i have a similar injury, where i can pop my sternum like cracking a knuckle, it happened playing rugby too a couple of years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kingking85

Are you still playing rugby /able to play? Mine cracks too like a knuckle cracking - hopefully the pain will ease with time

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

yeah i still play, luckily it doesnt really effect me much, unless it only half pops which is agony, and i cant even move, but that never lasts too long thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I cracked mine about two years ago,playing rugby too..
    It hurt like a b-itch..BUT I was brave I played on for another twenty minutes,before I gave in...Breathing,coughing and trying to lift my niece all really hurt loads..

I took the rest of the season off to allow it to heal properly, And although I haven't played that much over the last year, I don't have any problems with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

mine needs a regular cracking too, like a neck or knuckle. i was actually worried i hurt it from benching too much because i was powerlifting for a while.
    I mentioned it to a physiotherapist friend of mine and he basically told me it was down to posture and not anything major to worry about, if it cracks it cracks, as long as i'm not in any pain and it doesn't affect my breathing then it should be ok.
    Hope thats of some help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mine needs a regular cracking too, like a neck or knuckle. i was actually worried i hurt it from benching too much because i was powerlifting for a while.
    I mentioned it to a physiotherapist friend of mine and he basically told me it was down to posture and not anything major to worry about, if it cracks it cracks, as long as i'm not in any pain and it doesn't affect my breathing then it should be ok.
    Hope thats of some help

...but of course everyone is different and the experience of bigdogbarking should not be construed as medical advice from him, just because he was okay does not mean any one else would be with a similar 'cracking'... ;)

/covering of bases

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

r3nu4l wrote: »
    ...but of course everyone is different and the experience of bigdogbarking should not be construed as medical advice from him, just because he was okay does not mean any one else would be with a similar 'cracking'... ;)

/covering of bases

Sorry, my bad, should have mentioned that at the end :o
    Ditto

Advertisement