Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax disc - still waiting months

Options
  • 29-04-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I sent in the green form to Shannon with a postal order for a new tax disc a few months back. Upon getting stopped by the Gardai, it reminded my that my tax was well out of date, and that I'm still waiting for the disc to arrive.

Ringing Shannon today left me on-hold for 20 minutes, and no one answering, so my disc whereabouts is unknown.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

My real fear now is that it got lost in the post, and I'm down a few hundred quid, cause I have no idea where the Postal Order stub is to get a refund. My only hope is that Dept of Transport made a mistake and forgot to send out my disc.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Well, on ringing Naas Motor Tax office, they didn't recieve it. Fantastic. Lots of arrears to pay now and for the future months too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dont send it to shannon next time, just go to your local motor tax ofice.
    where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Car is registered in Kildare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

New to me, I didn't know you could pay your tax through Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jeemojney

i pay mine online, disc arrives in 1-2 days

to avoid paying arrears you can get a form (rf100a, can be downloaded from motortax.ie) to say it was off the road for the period of the arrears, get it stamped by the gardai and present it in the tax office to tax your car

obviously if it wasn't off the road then you wouldn't do this and the gardai wouldn't stamp it, you would pay the arrears like any law-abiding citizen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

jeemojney wrote: »
    i pay mine online, disc arrives in 1-2 days

to avoid paying arrears you can get a form (rf100a, can be downloaded from motortax.ie) to say it was off the road for the period of the arrears, get it stamped by the gardai and present it in the tax office to tax your car

obviously if it wasn't off the road then you wouldn't do this and the gardai wouldn't stamp it, you would pay the arrears like any law-abiding citizen :)

Since he was pulled by the gardaí, if they did a numberplate check on it I'm sure they can see the car was indeed, on the road. At the same time, the gardaí are only witnessing it, and generally don't give two ****es of ask questions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would be posting it to :

Motor Tax Office
    Aras Cill Dara
    Devoy Barracks
    Newbridge Road
    Naas
    Co. Kildare
    Tel: +353 45 980 591
    fax: +353 45 980 920
    email: motortax@kildarecoco.ie
    www: http://www.kildare.ie/countycouncil
    Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 9:30-3:00
    Wheelchair-accessible: Yes

or make a visit in person, didnt think you could send your tax renewal to shannon, no wonder it was lost!

maybe if you bought the draft in a local post office, and you know roughly what week or month you bought it, they might go through their books to see when it was sold and chase the ref number for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can see trace your tax disc here:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d7b93ddee6ac3e4bd3ba3287af991d7e9d.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0LaNmRbxyTahmMe0

You can also see when the last time the car's Registration Cert was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I sent in the green form to Shannon with a postal order for a new tax disc a few months back.

Why did you send it to Shannon? Motor Tax is handled by the individual Local Authorities, not a centralised office. The Shannon office of the Dept. of Transport deals with vehicle ownership, not tax.

Basically, you sent your postal order to the wrong place, which is why you never got your tax disk. However, if you address was on the envelope or the documentation you sent, someone should have had the courtesy to send it back to you with a note.

Advertisement