Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing Felt types

Options
  • 29-04-2009 11:25am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    We are stripping my parents house at home and replacing the felt/battens and tiles.

Dad has been getting quotes for the lot and one thing is odd is the big difference in felt prices.
    The cheapest is like 80 euro per roll, the dearest is something like 180 euro.

Why the big difference and which would you roofers use?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

solitex, blue breather felt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    solitex, blue breather felt....

We finished a few roofs with this stuff.

tis very good and was weather proof for a whole month till the order of slate came in.

Very easy to use as well, compared to the old type tar felt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is Solitex the "dear" felt or is it about the 100 euro per roll?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there are different materials that you can use, and as you say, they vary a lot in cost..

solitex is one of the more expensive average €175 a roll.. but price around.. and, in my opinion, is one of the best materials and regularly used by good roofers...

there are other felts that can cause the attic to 'sweat' due to lack of adequate breathability, this can cause moisture damage and sometimes structural damage to roof timbers. That is why i wouldnt just choose a cheap and cheerful product.

other products include monarperm and fakro eurotop.. perhaps price them up...
    but i would go with solitex, the economic cost may be in the region of €500 on an average roof... but i wouldnt sacrifice quality for cost....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

th main thing to watch for is that they dont price the most expensive felt and give you the cheapest. solitex is brilliant stuff but not always needed. at the moment in roofing a garage and the owner asked for the cheapest of the cheap due to lack of money and i got breathable felt for €45 a roll. it is sh@*e though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So what do you think my Dad should use?? Obviously we dont want crap felt.
    We will be doing all this ourselves but its 15 years since we tiled a house!! And that was my grans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

if it was my house id use either solitex or blizzard felt. it may be pricey but its worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Lads

just priced the felt for the roof

Balaroid €54 per roll
    Tyvek €123 per roll
    Solitex €148

I need 11 rolls so the difference is €1000

Cheapest isnt always the best but is the solitex worth the extra €1000. Is it that good or is the Balaroid rubbish.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Cheapest isnt always the best but is the solitex worth the extra €1000. Is it that good or is the Balaroid rubbish.

IMO Yes. Solitex is excellent, it is breathable and very strong.

Advertisement