Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Atheists Have An Inferiority Complex?

Options
  • 29-04-2009 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

I have randomly read some of the threads on this Board over recent months.

I have noticed that there is always references to what religuous / church going people do or their attitudes to things. There are always comparisons as in saying that Atheists do thing better or have all the answers and generally trying to slag off people that practice a religion.

It may not be intended (and I dont think it is) but I suspect it hints at a bit of an inferiority complex towards the rest of us. I dont see non atheists comparing themselves with Atheists at all - we just dont count ye as different. I know lots of Atheists and treat them as normal and expect them to treat me the same - I would probably be an "average" church goer if such one exists.

This isnt a major issue to me, just something I noticed several time I read threads on here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, you will get a lot of thiests thinking they're better than athiests and a lot of athiests thinking they're better better than thiests. Two sides of the same coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

dixiefly wrote: »
    I have randomly read some of the threads on this Board over recent months.

I have noticed that there is always references to what religuous / church going people do or their attitudes to things. There are always comparisons as in saying that Atheists do thing better or have all the answers and generally trying to slag off people that practice a religion.

It may not be intended (and I dont think it is) but I suspect it hints at a bit of an inferiority complex towards the rest of us. I dont see non atheists comparing themselves with Atheists at all - we just dont count ye as different. I know lots of Atheists and treat them as normal and expect them to treat me the same - I would probably be an "average" church goer if such one exists.

This isnt a major issue to me, just something I noticed several time I read threads on here

I think your reading it wrong. Atheists generally slag off religions in much the same way as religious people slag off other religions, scientology anyone?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I suspect it hints at a bit of an inferiority complex towards the rest of us.

lol
    I'd love to know how you worked that one out?
    If anything, it's a superiority complex we suffer from. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

There are always comparisons as in saying that Atheists do thing better or have all the answers and generally trying to slag off people that practice a religion.

Some do, but I think most on this forum slag off the religion rather than the person.

Also atheists don't tend to say they have all the answers, in fact that is one of the things that tends to annoy atheists, religious people pretending that they know things that they don't and couldn't possibly know. I don't know and neither do you is a common phrase from an atheist.

But sure it is the internet. Wasn't all this invented to argue with strangers about stuff :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wicknight wrote: »

But sure it is the internet. Wasn't all this invented to argue with strangers about stuff :pac:

Oh no it wasn't. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No

/thread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do Atheists Have An Inferiority Complex?
    Some atheists undoubtedly have an inferiority complex.

However, as with theists with a similar complex that would be down to bullying as a child, overcritical parents, or having one leg shorter than the other rather than anything to do with not believing in gods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

we just dont count ye as different. I know lots of Atheists and treat them as normal

lol...
    Because we're sekritly not normal at all and highly "different"

what was that quote I heard before? " I have nothing against gay people, my son even plays poker with some" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by dixiefly
    I suspect it hints at a bit of an inferiority complex towards the rest of us.
    It does ? Your superior ? Do tell ,

Actually No don' t .I don't really want to know .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Beruthiel wrote: »
    lol
    I'd love to know how you worked that one out?

People that obsess about others and are always commenting about them would often have a bit of an inferiority complex about themselves in comparison to those they obsess about - it is a bit of a natural reaction.

There is a certain smugness in some of the posts in other threads alright - you could call that superiority/ arrogance - but overall it struck me more as an inferiority complex.

Anyway, I could be totally wrong here, all \i am saying is that's how it came across to me.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    lol...
    Because we're sekritly not normal at all and highly "different"

what was that quote I heard before? " I have nothing against gay people, my son even plays poker with some" ?

You are trying here to reverse the argument me - quite clever of you. I have only gone on this board when topics on the home pagge caught my eye. I will repeat again, the concept of atheists / non atheists never factored in my mind. Just like I dont differentiate between people that play sport / dont play sport, drink/ dont drink, eat fish / dont eat fish. What I said (or meant to say)was that I happen to know people that are atheists, thats all.

I dont slag people off just because people do things or like/ believe things that I dont. It just doesnt come in to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Surely we can't be worse than the vegans? :)

Seriously though, how can you determine the reasons why someone may appear arrogant based on posts in an internet forum?

I highly doubt that percentage of arrogant atheists is any different to the percentage of arrogant non-sports playing people or arrogant fish eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Beruthiel wrote: »

Oddly though, a superiority complex usually forms from having an inferiority complex to begin with. So if we did suffer from such a pathology it would only add weight to the OP's claim.

I'm sure Valmont could explain it better.

Also, due to the written word being completely absent of prosody, the manner in which an individual makes a point can be largely misunderstood. A common example is when an Atheist says "You are wrong". The reader imagines this being said in a smug manner with the intention of meaning "thus, I am right". This tends to rarely be the case.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oddly though, a superiority complex usually forms from having an inferiority complex to begin with. So if we did suffer from such a pathology it would only add weight to the OP's claim.

I'm sure Valmont could explain it better.

Also, due to the written word being completely absent of prosody, the manner in which an individual makes a point can be largely misunderstood. A common example is when an Atheist says "You are wrong". The reader imagines this being said in a smug manner with the intention of meaning "thus, I am right". This tends to rarely be the case.

Excellent point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Expression of bemusement at the utter bs that so many people believe can often be misinterpreted as arrogance, I guess.

I don't know where you're getting inferiority complex from though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I dont slag people off just because people do things or like/ believe things that I dont. It just doesnt come in to it.

As already mentioned in the religious bashing thread, the "slags" aren't really slags. Whatever atheists say are only precieved as slags by theists. Our questions and observations point out the absurdity of religious faith, which obviously doesn't go down well. Once the absurdity is pointed out, it may be mocked, because it's funny! It's like watching a really bad b-movie.

"Hold on a sec... that doesn't make sense... where did he get that wine?!!! oh... magic was it?... hmmm..."

"Hold on a sec.... why do churches need a lightning rod?!!!... hahaha!"

etc. etc. etc.I'm not slagging anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I imagine some might have an inferiority complex about their superiority complex...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You are trying here to reverse the argument me - quite clever of you.

No, I'm amused at the statement you made which is very typical of "I have no problems with x minority, in fact I know lots and am even friends with a few! I even try and treat them 'normally' despite them being x. But let me list the problems I have with x minority and why they're all bastards..." comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

No, I'm amused at the statement you made which is very typical of "I have no problems with x minority, in fact I know lots and am even friends with a few! I even try and treat them 'normally' despite them being x. But let me list the problems I have with x minority and why they're all bastards..." comments

Its a bit like this really.

I get your point but I think I have emphasised it twice - let me say it again - I dont give a damn about your beliefs or non-beliefs - it doesnt matter to me - I dont care!! it s like I dont care what football team you support, what restaurant you like.

I do realise that some people make comments like you have indicated but you are incorrect in trying to twist my observation into that. Mind you my observation may not be applicable to the wider atheist populus, I just observed it from the posts I have randomly seen on this forum.

Thats just it - no more and no less.

• Advertisement

Can you please requote me from my earlier posts and indicate where I would have given you that impression.

I get your point but I think I have emphasised it twice - let me say it again - I dont give a damn about your beliefs or non-beliefs - it doesnt matter to me - I dont care!! it s like I dont care what football team you support, what restaurant you like.

I do realise that some people make comments like you have indicated but you are incorrect in trying to twist my observation into that. Mind you my observation may not be applicable to the wider atheist populus, I just observed it from the posts I have randomly seen on this forum.

Thats just it - no more and no less.

I'm not twisting anything, I'm giving you my impression of your first post. I found it funny. You really need to calm down about this.
    Can you please requote me from my earlier posts and indicate where I would have given you that impression.
    Eh ok
    " know lots and am even friends with a few! I even try and treat them 'normally' " from
    I know lots of Atheists and treat them as normal

"But let me list the problems I have with x minority"
    from
    ...I suspect it hints at a bit of an inferiority complex towards the rest of us.
    There is a certain smugness in some of the posts in other threads alright - you could call that superiority/ arrogance - but overall it struck me more as an inferiority complex.

Not to mention for someone for whom "this isn't an issue", you're coming across fairly defensive.

I'm not twisting anything, I'm giving you my impression of your first post. I found it funny. You really need to calm down about this.

Not to mention for someone for whom "this isn't an issue", you're coming across fairly defensive.

Just by me pointing out to you that you picked me up totally wrong does not mean that I need to calm down. I dont think that anything else I post will get that point across to you.

Regarding being defensive, I dont think it is me that the term defensive should be applying to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Just by me pointing out to you that you picked me up totally wrong does not mean that I need to calm down. I dont think that anything else I post will get that point across to you.

Regarding being defensive, I dont think it is me that the term defensive should be applying to!!

I think you need to calm down. You sound very hostile.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't think dixiefly needs to calm down, I just think this thread needs to find a purpose quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think you need to calm dsown, Dades!

96777.jpg

Advertisement