Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours' cat has feline HIV

Options
  • 29-04-2009 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering ...
    My neighbours' cat has been diagnosed with feline HIV. Though it was recommended to keep the cat indoors, it is still let out as it's 4 years old and apparently doesn't like being in ...
    No need to say I am concerned about my 2 cats. What would you do in this case ?
    Thank you for your help.
    ValerieR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

thats a new one to me. I heard of it alright but cant help ya. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Wouldn't it be better to have infected cats put down to since it leads to all this in the late stage :

"Stage 3 - In humans, this stage is generally recognized as Acquired Immune Deficiency or full-blown AIDS. For cats, stage 3 can be just as devastating. The immune system is no longer able to fend off disease, and the cat is prone to all kinds of infections, including the following:
    Skin diseases, including rashes, abscesses, dry skin, hair loss, and matted fur
    Infections, including infections of the gums, mouth, and teeth
    Gastrointestinal problems, including chronic diarrhea, weight loss
    Anemia
    Behavioral changes, including dementia
    Seizures
    Eye problems, including cataracts, conjunctivitis, glaucoma, and inflammation of the cornea
    Difficulty breathing"

No-one likes to see any animal put down but surely it would help reduce the spread and save all this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Much like human HIV, cats with FIV can live long and healthy lives, particularly if they are fed a high quality diet and receive regular veterinary check-ups. Yes it is recommended to keep an FIV+ cat indoors, but this is for the FIV+ cat's benefit first and foremost - they have lowered immunity and should be protected from picking up parasites, infections, etc.

The only risk to your cat or cats is if they get in a fight with your neighbour's FIV+ cat or if your cat/cats are not neutered - bite wounds are the main route of transmission. Bite wounds are most commonly inflicted during fights between un-neutered toms competing for territory or females in heat.

Un-neutered female cats are also at risk as the tom may inflict bites when mating.

The risk of your cats contracting the virus through saliva (e.g. using shared food bowls/water bowls or mutual grooming) is negligible and the virus is not airborne. Nor does it survive on furnishings.

Hope this helps.

Bushy, the incidence of FIV in the cat population is quite low. Figures vary but it's thought to be approx. 5-7%. The incidence is much higher in stray cats and feral cats because the cats are not neutered, hence more mating between infected individuals and more fights between the toms! If a female cat is FIV+ she can pass on the virus to some of her unborn kittens in utero.

You would be surprised how healthy an FIV+ cat can be. If you have cats of your own and have never had them tested, it's quite possible you may have an FIV+ cat in your own home, and they've never shown a symptom! Many FIV+ cats live to a grand old age without suffering. So long as the cat's owner is responsible, there's no good reason to PTS an asymptomatic FIV+ cat.

http://bestfriends.org/theanimals/petcare/cats_fiv.cfm

Also have a look at the Happy Endings section of the Limerick Animal Welfare website and read about May, the FIV+ cat I fostered last year. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

ValerieR wrote: »
    What would you do in this case?

I would keep my cats indoors.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I would keep my cats indoors.

+1. FIV is much more transmissible than HIV, so if you think there is a possibility your cats and this cat will fight I'd do what I could to keep them apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

If all the cats are neutered and therefore are unlikely to bite or mate with each other, personally, I wouldn't be particularly worried.

If they don't get on however, or compete for territory, then maybe you could suggest to your neighbour to build a cat run, so that the cat can be outside but is contained in a garden and won't interact with yours. Or you could do the same for your cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

My mother-in-laws cat was diagnosed with FIV last month and two weeks after he had to be PTS. It was quite sad. He deteriorated very rapidly when he was diagnosed.

When he was diagnosed the vet said with the right meds etc. he could live to an old age but unfortunately in this instance this did not happen.

The vet did advise to keep him indoors away from other cats so likewise I would suggest to keep your cat indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm sorry to hear that, LadyTBolt. It happens a lot. You see, the cat goes through an acute phase when they are first infected, and they'll have a fever, diarrhoea and feel unwell. But the symptoms do resolve and they can be asymptomatic for years and years afterwards, until the final phase of the illness when their immune system has become so depleted that they begin to succumb more and more to opportunistic infections. It's usually at this point that people bring their cat to the vet and a blood-test reveals the FIV+ diagnosis. But at this late stage of the disease, the best you can do is give palliative care. That's why it's a good idea to have your cat or kitten FIV tested when you first get them. If they test positive, you can greatly increase their longevity by feeding them a high quality food, keeping them indoors and having regular check-ups at the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Valerie, if your cats are neutered/spayed, and the neighbour's cat is as well, then like what was said above, there is little need for concern.
    Could you maybe drop a not so subtle hint to your neighbour about following his vets advice and keeping his cat indoors, or at least from roaming free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

Neutered cats are less likely to fight but plenty of neutered cats get into territorial fights and get wounded. If my neighbour was irresponsible enough to allow FIV positive cats to roam freely and my cats were allowed to roam freely you can be damn sure I'd keep them in.

FIV is a preventable disease. There is no need to PTS cats who test positive for it but at the same time don't expose your cats to unnecessary risk.

If you are the social type you could talk to your neighbour about a cheap cat run for the cat.

I had an FIV positive cat for the last 6 months of his life and it still makes me so angry that such a fantastic cat had a short life with a miserable end. I can't imagine anyone being selfish and stupid enough to allow one to wander when they know there are other cats about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement