Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity boxing fundraiser - need your support

Options
  • 28-04-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Alright lads, I’ll be boxing in a charity event next Thursday 7th May in the Conrad Hotel to raise funds for the ongoing 24-hour care of Martin Codyre, a young man from Bray who was tragically paralysed in a freak accident at a friend’s wedding in August.

Tickets are available from €40 and details of the event and Martin’s story are in the attached. It’s shaping up to be a really great night – we’re actually searching for a larger venue as demand is exceeding the 500 capacity of the Conrad so the atmosphere will be electric and personally I can’t wait to see rugby cult hero Trevor Brennan take on former Irish Heavyweight Karate Champion Butch Harmon: there's gonna be ructions!

I’d really appreciate your support if you can make it – the more friendly faces (and voices :) ) in the crowd the better, so if you are interested, please let me know and I’ll allocate a ticket for you - might be a chance to get a bit of a team night out going? I'll be locked on 3 pints with the adrenaline and beat up head though so cheap night for me :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It sounds like a good cause. I probably wouldn't be available but I'd be willing to contribute to a ticket or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

sad story to read and puts things into perspective for all of us :( im away jules as you know, so cant make it, but would love to see you in action. i will have a look at that site and see if i can put some money in there, im sure they will have banking details on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Cheers lads. Just updating with the new flyer reflecting a change in venue: due to the phenomenal interest in the event the venue has had to be changed to allow for increased capacity.

Event will now be on in Tripod (aka The POD) on Harcourt Street. It'll be a great venue making for a real cauldron-like atmosphere with the tiered seating, overhanging balconies, top class lighting etc. Bonus is once you're in for the event you're in for the late bar till 2am.

Looks like I'm fighting Vinny Murphy so it'll be interesting for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Fair Play Jules, if I can I try and make it but won't know till early next week, otherwise I'll pop onto the website and make a donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Just donated a tenner there Jules. Definitely not free next Thursday. Would have been good to see you beat some gaa head into a bloody pulp though :)

• Advertisement

Fair play Martin, appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jules,just seen the video of your fight, fair play mate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

jules,just seen the video of your fight, fair play mate.

You got a link?

Cheers Ed, twas a great night with €45k raised for a great cause. Murphy is one helluva tough guy and though the serious weight difference caught me off guard in the 1st, I was very happy with the fight overall.

Here's the link Keith which is just a camcorder job by a mate - I just got my hands on the official event DVD which was done by TheMediaBar.ie and is a top class production though that's not mine so I won't upload to youtube. The Herald writeup gives a good overview and that article and the 2 pager they did since on the background to it will help with publicising the next one. And Fight Night II will defo happen as everyone watching and participating loved it....we're probably looking at late this year for the next one and it'll be raising funds for broader paralysis research....so if any of you's are interested in going through the boot camp and fighting, let me know soon enough (loads of interest already).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Fair play Jules, was a good fight with a few haymakers in there for good measure :)

PM sent regarding fight night 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement