Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing Broadbabd provider crumlin - help plse!

• 28-04-2009 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I am currently with 3 - need I say more - reception is useless to say the least.

I am looking to change to wireless where I can get decent connection (maybe 10mb).. currently with NTL for tv and imagine with phone... neither very helpful when phoned... i've checked out websites but don't really understand who would be the best? i.e. who will not leave me tearing my hair out!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Is there a reason you really want to go wireless or would you go with adsl/cable broadband as well?

The only wireless providers I can think of are digiweb and Irish BroadBand. Dont think IBB have anything near a 10mb package, though Digiweb may have so you should head over to their site to see what you can avail of.

Though if you wanted to go down the wired path ntl/upc do good and quite cheap 10/20mb packages which i am thinking about changing to myself soon. That is if they have installed the new lines in your area and you can avail of them.

Otherwise id check out smart, magnet and bt and see if you can avail of their adsl2+ packages which they have set up in a number of exchanges which can provide 10mb+ if your line is good enough. You should check your phone number on their sites to see if you can get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lost1

having looked a bit more into it maybe adsl/cable I could use too... I'm not that techie minded! I just want to be able to use the internet anywhere in the house without being tied to plugging a cable into the computer as there will be more than one of us using it at a time....

I've looked at upc - €50 installation, €50 wireless modem, €32/22 per 10mb/3mb... then imagine are €30 for 3mb, €60 wireless and forgot to ask about installation...but on this forum i read imagine weren't that great...

Would 3 mb or 10 mb be best - i work from home and use internet alot but wouldn't download much - might watch some progs on it...

the more i read, the more confused i get...

thanks for you help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

3 should be grad for your use then, and you an always just upgrade if not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

did you ring upc to see if they will do it ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

lost1 wrote: »
    having looked a bit more into it maybe adsl/cable I could use too... I'm not that techie minded! I just want to be able to use the internet anywhere in the house without being tied to plugging a cable into the computer as there will be more than one of us using it at a time....

I've looked at upc - €50 installation, €50 wireless modem, €32/22 per 10mb/3mb... then imagine are €30 for 3mb, €60 wireless and forgot to ask about installation...but on this forum i read imagine weren't that great...

I think UPC are grand. Telly and BB in the one package, €47 per month. Just get a wireless modem, and you can use it where ever you want. I have never had a problem with it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    3 should be grad for your use then, and you an always just upgrade if not.
    Hi, I am currently with 3 - need I say more - reception is useless to say the least.

I think he's already ruled Three out.

If UPC is available, then you could get that with the wireless router, this would meet your needs. 10Mbps would be better than 3Mbps, as it's faster, but it depends on your requirements. If you don't need 10M, then it's a bit of a waste. For working from home, upload is often a key factor. Not sure about UPC, but on the standard 3Mbps DSL packages, the upload is 384kbps. DSL has the added cost of line rental to consider, something you don't have with UPC.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet are on the Crumlin exchange. If anyone wants the full details I can call.

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

I didn't say 3, I said 3!:p

He asked if 3mb was enough for his usage, or would he need 10mb?
    lost1 wrote:
    Would 3 mb or 10 mb be best - i work from home and use internet alot but wouldn't download much - might watch some progs on it...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They should be made change their name. It's the reason I always write Three for Three, but write 3 for 3, saves confusion...

Doesn't help that there's also a shop and a mobile technology called 3G, and none of Three, 3, 3G or 3G are the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Well if you dont currently have an eircom phoneline coming into your house ie. your not paying line rental to them. I would definetely consider UPC/NTL as you wont have to go through the hassle of getting a phone line re/connected. Their also probably the cheapest. I think right now UPC are giving away free installation from just having a look at their site, so you may not have to pay an installation fee. Though check with them first to see if the cables are installed in your area and you can avail of the broadband from them.

The 50 euro for the router is well worth it if you want to get it set up quickly and easily as i would think the installer will get that up and running for you, where as if you bought your own wirelesss router you'd have to do it yourself. For work you mightn't need a big download, 3mb download will do for most small things, but if you upload alot, the 3mb package only has 256kb upload where as the 10mb has 1mb upload which is alot faster for uploading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement