Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

For me It's Nights am addicted to it at the moment but just can't seem to get passed stage 3 using Claris, i mean i ace the stage with a B, but it won't let me process to stage 4.

Anywhom what are you guys playing?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Shenmue 2 on the xbox. Not consistantly, just on and off now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Bubble Bobble Plus which is retro in a way and also a bit of Zelda LttP every now and then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not strictly old school but FFIV on the DS. FFIII was an excellent update but suffered from it adhering too much to the old game. In other words it was too hard especially the final gauntlet of a dungeon with no save points.

FFIV, I couldn't have asked for a better update of one of my favourite games. The story is fleshed out, the translation is much better (although they kept the famous engrish 'you spoony bard!' :) ) and the characters are better although Edward is still a prat. I didn't think they could make a better looking game than FFIII on the DS but they proved me wrong. Also the bosses have been rebalanced and require a good bit of strategy now.

Loads of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and a bit of Samurai Showdown 2.

Bionic Commando Rearmed as well, another excellent remake.

Not much else. Does the fan translation of Mother 3 count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Pushover on the Amiga

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Sensible Soccer on the 360 and Burnout Revenge on the Xbox.Shame Burnout won't play on the 360,I much prefer that joypad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm playing a weird 3D Jap Picross game on the DS, Fallout3 just started on the 360 and Hellboy on the PS3, retrowise I'm now playing Another World, Virtua Racing and Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

That is a lot of gaming:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Too many RPGs going at once here! :(

360 - Mainly Mirrors Edge, Fallout 3 & GTA IV. I've a heap of games I keep dipping in and out of but no time to really dedicate to.

PSP - Tales of Eternia, Resistance Retribution & Phantasy Star Portable

Snes - Secret of Mana & Secret of Evermore

PC - Nethack..lots and lots of it!

Megadrive is getting a bit of a break till Pier Solar comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Arcade Cab: LodeRunner
    C64: Last ninja (via virtual console on Wii)
    360: Indiana Jones lego
    PS3: LBP
    PSP: EXIT (old I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

Damn all you 'retro' gamers playing with your 360's
    I'm keeping it real, Shining Force 2 on the Megadrive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've been playing Track and Field on the cab with a few mates recently...classic stuff. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Condemned 2 on the 360. Pro Evolution 6 on the PS2. Splatterhouse 2 on the Mega-Drive.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Oh splatterhouse 2 is pretty rare on the mega-drive, I was looking at a copy on ebay but it went for silly money.

Are you sure? I bought it for about 10 euro or so off Ebay with it's own box, no instructions. If you do a bit of searching you should find a cheap enough copy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Splatterhouse 3 is the one that goes for silly money. It's better than 2 and by better I mean slightly less crappy.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Splatterhouse 3 is the one that goes for silly money. It's better than 2 and by better I mean slightly less crappy.

Splatterhouse 3 is a fine game but 2 is just as good and alot of fun. I think however it's all a moot point talking about Mega-Drive games, the really good versions we're on the Turbografx-16 I heard.

Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Splatterhouse 3 is a fine game but 2 is just as good and alot of fun. I think however it's all a moot point talking about Mega-Drive games, the really good versions we're on the Turbografx-16 I heard.

Splatterhouse...good...?

Does not compute. :P

Only one I've really enjoyed is the arcade version. Well by enjoy I mean midly amused by the gore. Actually as far as I know, it was removed from a lot of arcades because of that.

Splatterhouse suffers from Mortal Kombat syndrome. People remember it as being good because they were blown away by the gore when the game was really utter ****. The gore wasn't even all that great anyway.

It's a good game, I'm enjoying it. The gore was something that made it stand out, but as a platformer (is it?) it's decent enough. I don't know what ****ing planet your on saying it's ****e. All I can say is you must have impossibly high standards for videogames, it's fun, that's all that really matters for me.

Master of the Universe

I haven't played Splatterhouse 3 nearly as much as 2. Was always quite fond of the visuals. The controls on the other hand are some of the worst I've come across in any game. Feels like you're controling a slow moving rock. Really ruins the game for me :( Which is unfortunate.

On a related note, it seems there's a new Splatterhouse game coming out this year -

http://www.atomicgamer.com/gameScreenshots.php?id=4071

Splatterhouse 3 is okay at best. Splatterhouse 2 however is just a slightly better version of altered beast with gore.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I haven't played Splatterhouse 3 nearly as much as 2. Was always quite fond of the visuals. The controls on the other hand are some of the worst I've come across in any game. Feels like you're controling a slow moving rock. Really ruins the game for me :( Which is unfortunate.

On a related note, it seems there's a new Splatterhouse game coming out this year -

I didn't really mind the controls for Splatterhouse 2. It's hardly Robocop bad. Heard about that new game coming out from Wikipedia, that ever reliable source of trustworthy information, nice to see pics but I don't know if I like the look of the game at the moment, seems a bit hack n' slash, could have done with a darker feel set inside a creepy house something like the remake of Resident Evil on the gamecube.

Only time will tell!

Master of the Universe

I thought that third drawing was very Simon Bisley. Turns out it is. First time I've heard of him taking part in a game since the canceled Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. (Which would have rocked :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Splatterhouse suffers from Mortal Kombat syndrome. People remember it as being good because they were blown away by the gore when the game was really utter ****. The gore wasn't even all that great anyway.

Best quote ever. :D

Oh and though its technically not Retro I bought the fantastic Shooter platypus on psp, at Dublin airport yesterday. and before you ask know i didnt travel all the way there to buy the game:rolleyes: im back in london.

Never even heard of that game. Must get it, it looks like a decent parodius clone at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

sham69 wrote: »
    C64: Last ninja (via virtual console on Wii)

Very cool. Is there a list anywhere of the C64 games that you can get on the virtual console ? Depending on what's available, it may sway me to fork out for one.

VC reviews should have a list. Some good stuff on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

o1s1n wrote: »

...Please tell me all that's tomato ketchup (and not blood and some guts!).

:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CCCP^ wrote: »

I've got the TG-16 version and it's fun, although I don't have the Megadrive edition to compare it to.

Also, re: Simon Bisley, I've got a print of Joe Pineapples (from ABC Warriorss) drawn by him and, happily, signed by him, I've had it since '90, wow, that's a while ago now, I was big into that particular strip, always felt it was a licence waiting to happen, and instead we get a rehash of Rogue Trooper, damn!

Advertisement