Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whale wars on Discovery: Pretty funny!

Options
  • 28-04-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this show? It's about a bunch of crusties trying to act out a military style operation against the Japanese whaling fleets. They're using a pretty large and well equipped ship called the Steve Irwin, and it's not going well...

I watched it last night and got a few laughs. They wanted to test their little pilot boat for the first time, so they piled about five crusties into the boat and lowered it overboard and down into the arctic sea.... while the mother ship was sailing FULL STEAM AHEAD!!! Anyways, spirits were high as they touched down. But the main ship was going too fast, and since the pilot boat was still tethered it started to go out of control, like a cowboy being dragged along the ground by his horse. Two seconds later it capsized, throwing everybody into the freezing sea! Haha!

When the ship eventually returned to the capsized boat to rescue the men overboard, one guy decided to throw a rope down. The rope had a metal hook at the end of it, and as he was swinging it around his head, he smacked it off the helicopter and dented one of the rotors! Now the helicopter can't be flown out of sight of the ship in case it fecking drops out of the sky!

What a disaster. Fair play to them for trying though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Japanese look fairly pi**ed tonight......

fair play to the 2 lads for having the balls to jump on board the Japanese boat.....

that captain annoys me...... he does f*ck all and expects everyone else to do the risky stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

LMAO when you see the Japanese whalers holding up billboards saying things like "We are conducting scientific research!" and "We are weighing and inspecting the stomach contents!". Lowering the boat was pretty funny aswell, couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Signs with ''We are conducting scientific research'' while a whale is being dragged onto the ship in the background and thrown on the BBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

is it me or do these activists come across as being waay out of their depth and a fair bit naieve & childish.

It's very easy to see why they are hated among the eco activist crowd.

i totally agree.....

clearly highlighted when the guy in charge of the engine room admitted to not knowing anything about engines and can't change the tyre on a bike

good TV though.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

o god it's getting worse.

Tonights episode.
    Whaler spotted, quick in the zodiac and off we go to sabotage it.
    Off zodiac goes in wrong direction, helicopter finds its and tries to tell them on the radio that they are going the wrong way. Eejits in the boat are not listening and don't understand why the chopper is hovering around them.

Gets dark and heli has to return to mother ship.
    Zodiac lost, mothership has to radio the whalers for help lol

Through all this the captain is asleep !!
    Zodiac eventually comes back after a few hours completely oblivious to the trouble but it's allright they had "an awesome time".

Somebody is going to get killed as this ain't a game and the sooner they realise it the better.

lets go punish the guy who trys to start a search and rescue mission..... but lets also ask the Japanese for help....

oh and lets get the same guy who launched the zodiac when it toppled to launch it again and then take charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Just saw the programme recently. Cant believe how poorly trained the crew are, they're a joke. The communications officer even said he'd never been on a ship before. Certainly wouldnt sail with a crew like that. launching a patrol boat while underway is done frequently at sea, but is done using a trained crew with the engines of the patrol boat engaged. I wouldnt condone what the japanese are doing, but the Steve Irwin should be prosecuted for breaking Maritime law, they're no better than pirates, fundamentalists illegally attacking other vessel's for reasons they believe justified. Also a barber would make a fortune on that ship...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Japan, as well as Iceland and Norway, is in violation of the IWC moratorium on all commercial whaling according to the Seashepard crowd. Whatever their methods I would tend to agree.

Advertisement