Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Ranked 25th For Quality of Life

Options
  • 28-04-2009 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

But dropped to 58th regarding infrastructure....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0428/dublin1.html

A report from consulting group Mercer has placed Dublin 25th of 215 cities for its 'quality of life'.
    This is the same ranking as last year.
    The 2009 Quality of Living report, which is used by companies re-locating staff to other countries, shows that Vienna has overtaken Zurich, with Geneva third. Vancouver and Auckland were joint fourth.

Dublin is given a higher ranking that Paris (33rd), London (38th) and Barcelona (42nd).
    However, Dublin falls to 58th in the part of the report dealing with city infrastructure.
    Singapore is ranked top for infrastructure, which includes transport, electricity, telecoms and water, with Munich second and Copenhagen third.
    Mercer says the data were collected in September and October last year but are updated regularly to take account of new developments.

Top 10 (last year's ranking in brackets):
    1 Vienna (2)
    2 Zurich (1)
    3 Geneva (2)
    4 Vancouver (4)
    4 Auckland (5)
    6 Dusseldorf (6)
    7 Munich (7)
    8 Frankfurt (7)
    9 Bern (9)
    10 Sydney (10)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I have to say I am gone way past caring.

What new developments have we gotten in the past how many years? Port tunnel and M50. Nothing else afaik to make us climb any further, if anything we will only slide more and more.

I hate it here not and am really just counting down till I get the hell out for a very extended period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I would advise you to get out of Ireland altogether if you can't enjoy yourself here. Dublin is one of the best places in the country to live, very few places offer the amenities, services and things to do that Dublin does! If you are down living in Dublin, you will be worse off else where in the country!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

...you always take the weather with you, as the song says. 25th is not bad for a place with no infrastructure! And as well as the motorways we have two Luas lines, improved commuter trains, numerous bus lanes and cycle strips.

Now we just need to join it all up.

But yeah, deffo one of the best places in the world to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

Good to see. 2 Swiss in the top 3, impressive

thing is though frankfurt is a terrible city from what i remember, how do they measure quality of life from what perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

lightening wrote: »
    I would advise you to get out of Ireland altogether if you can't enjoy yourself here. Dublin is one of the best places in the country to live, very few places offer the amenities, services and things to do that Dublin does! If you are down living in Dublin, you will be worse off else where in the country!

How do you know this? Have you lived in many places in Ireland?

I live in the south-west. I love living here. Everything I want is available to me within a reasonable distance (and time).

I do like to visit Dublin, which is becoming closer (time-wise) all the time because of better train/bus service and improved road-structure.

But the 'best place to live' is depends on a person's wants and needs.
    Dublin may be the best place for you, but not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

thing is though frankfurt is a terrible city from what i remember, how do they measure quality of life from what perspective?
    That's what I was thinking when I saw Frankfurt mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Good to see. 2 Swiss in the top 3, impressive

This is the best insight they offer without actually buying the report: http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1306640

Frankfurt is not that bad of a place. Reputation for being a bit dull. But I guess good employment opportunities and the airport is pretty good. The average incomes their are probably much higher than Berlin which might explain why it is ranked higher.

Advertisement