Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Skam the internet Skammer?

Options
  • 28-04-2009 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Probably not the right place for this but feel free to move it as you please.

Quick question. Theres an internet skammer looking for my bank account details and trying to pay me over the odds for an item i'm selling if i send the item to her son in Nigeria for his birthday.

Now i can see through this a mile away but i was wondering is there any way to skam the skammer. I'm tired of hearing from them everytime i post something for sale.

If i accepted payment in my old bank account i dont use anymore, the funds cleared (as they do for a short period of time im lead to believe) and if i closed my account would the bank come looking for me for the money they have lost due to the skam or would the Skammer be liable for the costs if there are no funds in my closed account to get his money back? This would be a nice lesson and punishment for any of those skammers. But id say i would be me left with the bill.

Im having trouble finding out how they manage to get the funds into peoples accounts for a short period of time and can then withdraw them weeks later without the knowledge of the account holder. Maybe somebody who works in a bank could explain this to me.

Im also having trouble believing that the item will end up in Nigeria at all. I had a look on google maps for the address and it looks like shipping company would never deliver here. So i'm assuming that they get the package deferred somehow to their real location. And if they do this how do they get the shipping company to change the address without the shippers permission.

Any other form of retribution would be great if you could think of any. If we could all stop a few of them they might stop bothering us and start up elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

it's like finding a primed bear trap and wanting to play with it. Just be happy you spotted and avoided the scam. jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

So theres no way to get rid of this annoying problem. I get about 6 or 7 emails everytime i try to sell something anywhere other than adverts from these guys. And if i could find something that ensured i'd never get an email from any of them again id gladly persue it with each of them individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Appleguy wrote: »
    So theres no way to get rid of this annoying problem. I get about 6 or 7 emails everytime i try to sell something anywhere other than adverts from these guys. And if i could find something that ensured i'd never get an email from any of them again id gladly persue it with each of them individually.
    Its called a spam filter. most email services have one built in, learn how to use it. problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

hobochris wrote: »
    Its called a spam filter. most email services have one built in, learn how to use it. problem solved.

All these smart comments really aren't helping. I have a spam filter and it doesn't work because the e-mail addresses they use change all the time. If you flag one they get another one and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Forward their info to 419eater

http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Magnus wrote: »
    Forward their info to 419eater

http://www.419eater.com/html/baiting.htm

I read through one of their "trophies" last night, it was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Advertisement