Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with Driftwood

Options
  • 28-04-2009 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

While walking the beach last night, came across a washed up section of a tree, about 2ft in diameter 6ft tall and hollow all the way through, it was a lovely looking piece so we decided to bring it up home, i want to use it to make a lamp out of it, just wondering can it be treated varnished or something so it wont rot and flake away down the line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Not sure about drift wood,normal practise with wet wood would be to paint the ends with emulsion to prevent splitting and leave it out in the open,covered from the rain,but where the wind can get at it for several years, depending on how thick it is. I think the normal drying tme is about 1 year per inch thick but seeing as yours is hollow it should take considerably less.I wouldn't treat it yet,wait until it has dried some and stabilised,perhaps even storing it in your house if your in a hurry and cutting down any ends that have split and using whats left might be an idea, I'd hazard a guess it won't warp seeing as it's hollow.I'd be interested to hear how others would tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

Ya i have it stored in the garage now it appears fairly dry, i would love to use it inside but herself reckons outside in the lawn as we would not treat it!

Advertisement