Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

massey ferguson 35

Options
  • 27-04-2009 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

A friend asked me to look out for a massey 35 for him. He is looking for something that drives but is not really concerned about body work. He wants to use it around his small holding. Both of us had them years back and found them reliable. However am amazed at what people are asking for these. One guy I spoke to had one, didn,t have a bonnet , brakes not working properly and overall it was tatty and didn't have a cab. He wanted 3,500 euro for it. Anyone know where I'd pick up one of these for a realistic price. (around 1000, to 1300 dependant on condition. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Sadly you wont get a 35 for anything like that kind of money. the guy you spoke to was pushing his luck, but 12 months ago he'd probably have found someone willing to pay it.

take a look for a dexta maybe, very similar machine to work on. with decent parts availability, but with far less demand from the vintage boys so much more reasonably priced.

grey 20's often turn up for reasonable money too and are pretty similar to a basic spec 35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

true enough johnboy

a 35 is to be taken with a pinch of salt as is a 135 ,be careful over priced and if they were abused the head does normally warp, i have seen thousands of them skimmed and that doesnt work either ,better with a new head,

however for pto, lift, and basically everything else there unbeatable, at home we have a 135 and a 35x both came new 30-50 years ago and they do all the work around the yard, great tool wouldnt part with them for love nor money

but be expected to pay from 2-4k for a middle of the road one ,and at a thousand youll get plenty of trouble that will cost you another 4 thousand to put right,

heep an eye on the journal and the buy and sell for one, another thing about them is the front axle make sure its good,thats another grand to get rebuilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

shawnee wrote: »
    A friend asked me to look out for a massey 35 for him. He is looking for something that drives but is not really concerned about body work. He wants to use it around his small holding. Both of us had them years back and found them reliable. However am amazed at what people are asking for these. One guy I spoke to had one, didn,t have a bonnet , brakes not working properly and overall it was tatty and didn't have a cab. He wanted 3,500 euro for it. Anyone know where I'd pick up one of these for a realistic price. (around 1000, to 1300 dependant on condition. :pac:

Might have been a 35X in that case €3,500 would have been a bargin.
    In immac cond they fetch 3 to 3.5K, expect to pay at least 1500 to 2K for a middlin one if your lucky. They are so reliable anyone who is doing a bit of work around their house as well as the vintage crowd are mad to get their hands on one.

jO-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oneillpeter

I have just baught a massey ferguson 35 3 cylinder for 1750euro. The tractor drives perfect, the pto works, the lift works, and it runs well. Included in the price was a new set of wing and new front bonnet panels and grille.
    I am going to restore it. It doesn't need much work only new tyres, a respray and a few small bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

good stuff out of you, sounds like a crackin deal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

OP did you want a 3 cyl or 4 cyl? A good 4 cyl will be dearer than a 3 cyl, a bad one will be worth less than a 3 cyl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

OP did you want a 3 cyl or 4 cyl? A good 4 cyl will be dearer than a 3 cyl, a bad one will be worth less than a 3 cyl.

no, the 3 cylinder ones are more popular and a much better tractor, especially for starting from cold! the later ones were also three cylinder and seem to make more money than 4 cyl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

A 4 cylinder that's running right should start on the first turn of the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

consider a david brown or some of the fords, ones that dont have the big vintage demand on them

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

A 3cyl will always make more than a 4 cylinder any day of the week good or bad condition, the only 4 cyl that may beat a 3 cyl is a goldbelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

Sorry to hijack the thread lads but would any of yee know where I could source a head for 4 cylinder MF35.
    The cold weather seemed to have cracked it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Complete engine for sale in the dealer free ads paper in donegal this week 350stg says it has good oil pressure pm me for ph no if u want

Advertisement