Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the story with this BMW 2002?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

A lot of cars during that period were available with a vinyl roof as an option, but of course it could have been retrofitted to cover something bad. Best checking it out. Cracking car though and good prices for a 'tii' in the best colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

Nice car! I have and orange car with a vinyl roof a '76 P6. Nothing much to worry about..if there is any rust you will see the bubbling through the vinyl. Check the guttering on the back and side for bad fit. Otherwise its the least of your worries when buying an old car. Hope that helps.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah my question was just that I've never seen any other 2002 with a vinyl roof - does anyone know if they were actually sold with them as an option or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

Definitely not standard. I had a look at parts catologues and asked mates from BMW forums. A lot of people added vinyl roofs a couple of years after they bought their cars in the 70's. It was the thing to do in 74..on

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Yep vinyl roofs were considered to be cool and sporty in the seventies.
    As mentioned just make sure there was never a 'retrofit' sunroof that fitted in the eighties and removed again...

If rust is underneath, you should see it bubbling up.

To be honest I have never seen this setup where the vinyl only covers the roof area. Mostly the C-post is also covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    To be honest I have never seen this setup where the vinyl only covers the roof area. Mostly the C-post is also covered.

............thats exactly what I was thinking.

Still it seems like a good price, maybe there's a reason for that, worth checking out though and take a look through all those receipts. I would like to see something about the injection system too, check if it starts from cold and also from hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Great car, looks well and a proper period colour. Just be careful even if your happy the vinyl roof is not hiding any susprises, these cars rust. Check front wings, doors, boot floor, bottom of rear screen and most important the sills both inner & outer. Sometimes new outers are only fitted covering up the rotten inners, it's expensive to get the inners replaced correctly as the body should be braced at the door openings on removal of inner sills.

Engine oil should be clean with a golden colour coating on the rockers, remove oil cap to inspect. This is vital as the injection pump is lubricated by the same oil. Also the injection system suffers from worn linkages causing poor idle and excessive fueling usually noticed by black smoke under hard acceleration.

Good luck.

Edit. Also consider the late '73, early '74 face lifted (black plastic front grill & rectangler rear lights) version which has better spec. and seats.

Advertisement