Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trumpeters to listen to?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I know that this is a huge topic but anyway...

I want some recommendations about jazz trumpeters to listen to. I've recently started to learn trumpet and realised that my jazz collection doesn't have that much trumpet music. I like (in no particular order)

Dizzy, Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, some of Miles, Wynton Marsalis, Terrell Stafford

I'd like to add some more contemporary musicians to that list - any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Woody Shaw
    Nat Adderly
    Dave Douglas
    Roy Hargrove
    Louis Armstrong
    Jon Faddis
    Kenny Wheeler
    Red Allen
    Art Farmer
    Jimmy Dorsey
    Ray Browne
    Ian Carr
    Randy Brecker

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RedivideR

rigsby has already mentioned most of the ones i was thinking of, but here's a couple more:

clifford brown (not contemporary but essential on any list of trumpeters)
    tom harrell (america)
    don cherry (played pocket-trumpet in ornette coleman's band)
    arve henriksen (norway)
    ralph alessi (america)
    jonathan finlayson (featured on many of steve coleman's recent albums)
    peter evans (great young american trumpeter)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

James Morrison from Australia

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Clark Terry is an absolute must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

nicholas payton
    kenny dorham
    tomasz stanko

are all good, payton being modern, dorham post-bop and stanko in the european haunting jazz mould.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

There's a fantastic list above, so I won't add any more names to it. I'd just specify The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan, Unity by Larry Young (for Woody Shaw's playing), Study in Brown by Clifford Brown, and Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard in terms of classic albums that I think are must-haves in terms of trumpet playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

Herb Albert a definate must . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

What about Fred Wesley? or is he too funky?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Downloaded some Fred Wesley - great stuff. Not too funky at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

Downloaded some Fred Wesley - great stuff. Not too funky at all :)
    Well My own opinion is that it can never be too funky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Have to add Terrence Blanchard and Erik Truffaz to the list of essential trumpet players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

nicholas payton
    kenny dorham
    tomasz stanko

are all good, payton being modern, dorham post-bop and stanko in the european haunting jazz mould.
    Actually Shatners, have you got that Payton album called Sonic Trance? It's weird. But I like it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dave Total wrote: »
    What about Fred Wesley? or is he too funky?

How bout he doesn't play Trumpet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Daddio wrote: »
    Actually Shatners, have you got that Payton album called Sonic Trance? It's weird. But I like it ;)

Afraid i don't have that one now. The only Payton i have is 'Payton's Pleace' and (i think his most recent one) 'Into the Blue', I've yet to listen to either of them properly though from what i've heard they're both quite good. I love his playing with the San Francisco Jazz Orchestra though. Thats the only place where i've listened to him properly. I'm there (san fran) now actually so i'll look for that album you mentioned. I got unity too! It's good man, weird but good. I think it'll grow on me. It reminds me a bit of the Andrew Hill stuff.

Been on quite an obscure buzz at the moment though listening to a guy called Collin Walcott quite a lot as well as some more ECM stuff. I know its not trumpet though he does have an album where he plays with Don Cherry!

Advertisement