Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESCO workers to strike in Douglas, Co. Cork

Options
  • 27-04-2009 5:10pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6


    Just looking for comments on this!

    Tesco Workers in Douglas to Strike from next Wednesday

    The Mandate trade union announced today that more than 80 of their members in Tesco in Douglas, Co. Cork will go on strike indefinitely starting from next Wednesday, 29 April 2009.

    Mandate conducted a ballot on Monday, 20 April 2009 and the workers voted overwhelmingly in favour of industrial action. Strike notice has now been served on the company.

    The industrial action is in relation to the breaching of agreements with the Mandate Trade Union including the National Replacement Store Agreement.

    This particular agreement guarantees workers transferring to new premises the right to hold onto their current terms and conditions.

    Mandate Divisional Organiser for Cork, Lorraine O’Brien said, “The Tesco store in Douglas is due to move to new premises on 1 May 2009 but the company has said it is not willing to accept the transfer of some staff members from the old store on their current contracts. Instead, the company has offered staff members an ultimatum whereby workers have a choice of either a compulsory buyout of their terms and conditions or alternatively, the worker will be dismissed by means of redundancy.”

    for more check out www.mandate.ie
    Tagged:


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer


    ...and this is a consumer issue?


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara


    I'm going to move this to Work & Jobs as I can't think of a better home. M&J mods, I apologise if not the best choice.

    dudara


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3


    What conditions do the original employees have that they want to keep in the new store?

    They must have great conditions if the company wants to buy them out or give them redundancy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals


    If they're there ages, they could be on €13 or more an hour. In Dunnes, if you move store/are moved, you go back to starting wage. This *could* be the case. They might have current contracts where they work 10-3 or something 5 times a week and the new contract would require closing shifts? Something like that I'd imagine.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip


    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    What conditions do the original employees have that they want to keep in the new store?

    They must have great conditions if the company wants to buy them out or give them redundancy.

    They have the easiest of lives, won't do a thing out that is not specified in their contracts and if asked to do so threaten the company with their union. They're staff left over from the days of Crazy Prices and have a cushy number, interestingly Mandate do not sepcify what these conditions are as they know the'll become a laughing stock when people find out how little they do.
    They're resented by both fellow staff and management alike, don't think they have a whole lot of support but of course the union is the problem as it's an official strike staff will probably not cross it.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody


    My first reaction would be that it could be a very interesting test for new work descirption test in court (change everyone's work descriptions in new store, make everyone redundant, advertise for new staff on new contract) though I doubt Tesco is going down that route.

    Second thing which would be intresting to test/see would be to run the new store as a new legal entity and shut down the old store (not in same legal entity so does the deal still apply?).

    Third and final point will be to see who breaks first. I'm not sure what powers a union has/how much it pays etc. but if I was Tesco I'd hire in new people on the spot to squash the union. I'd also aim to spin it in how Tesco aims to offer more people job in these trying times (more positions lower over all salary cost but don't mention that part out loud) and taking it's social responsability while these greedy people only care for themself etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3


    Nobody can tell me what conditions these people have, not reported in the media or on the mandate website.

    As far as I can see, if they move to a new store they stay on the money a Tesco employee with that amount of years service would have, but all their other terms would be the same as new employee.

    Surely employee terms are better now than they would have been in 1996.

    Do they have their pre 1996 and things like the working time directive etc.

    What will they be losing out on?

    Is it that they will have to help customers from all over the store and not just their dept?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Monty2008


    From Mandate's website:

    The issues discussed which affect all Tesco workers in Ireland include:

    · Tesco’s refusal to pay the terms of the National Wage Agreement despite not pleading inability to pay and obviously being a very profitable company posting profits yesterday of over £3.1 billion sterling for the full year;
    · The cutting of hours below those negotiated in workers contracts in approximately 21 stores throughout the country;
    · A reduction of the voluntary redundancy package negotiated and agreed with Mandate;
    · The suspension of premium payments for workers including the late night, overtime and early morning supplements for at least one year.

    The Douglas issue is more in relation to the last point here. The company want workers to go into the new store without their supplements for late nights, overtime and early mornings.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭colinod


    Jip wrote: »
    They have the easiest of lives, won't do a thing out that is not specified in their contracts and if asked to do so threaten the company with their union. They're staff left over from the days of Crazy Prices and have a cushy number, interestingly Mandate do not sepcify what these conditions are as they know the'll become a laughing stock when people find out how little they do.
    They're resented by both fellow staff and management alike, don't think they have a whole lot of support but of course the union is the problem as it's an official strike staff will probably not cross it.


    I've never read so much ****e in my life.......

    And if you don't think they have a lot of support,, you are deluded

    Just ask Dunnes in Douglas how much their profits have been up the last few days

    Resented by fellow staff...thats your funniest one...Were guns held to their heads when they voted to strike


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3


    Monty2008 wrote: »
    From Mandate's website:

    The issues discussed which affect all Tesco workers in Ireland include:

    · Tesco’s refusal to pay the terms of the National Wage Agreement despite not pleading inability to pay and obviously being a very profitable company posting profits yesterday of over £3.1 billion sterling for the full year;
    · The cutting of hours below those negotiated in workers contracts in approximately 21 stores throughout the country;
    · A reduction of the voluntary redundancy package negotiated and agreed with Mandate;
    · The suspension of premium payments for workers including the late night, overtime and early morning supplements for at least one year.

    The Douglas issue is more in relation to the last point here. The company want workers to go into the new store without their supplements for late nights, overtime and early mornings.

    All Tesco employees get a premium for working after 10pm to 6am, what do these guys get.

    It's hard to support anyone when you don't know what their fighting for.

    How much redundancy is Tesco offering?

    How much are they being offered for their old contracts in compensation?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip


    colinod wrote: »
    I've never read so much ****e in my life.......

    And if you don't think they have a lot of support,, you are deluded

    Just ask Dunnes in Douglas how much their profits have been up the last few days

    Resented by fellow staff...thats your funniest one...Were guns held to their heads when they voted to strike


    Right back at you sunshine. What's Dunnes got to do with this ? I assume your trying to make the point that people aren't passing the pickets and going to Dunnes, but that has nothing to do with support from coworkers.
    If you think I'm deluded, you're gone so far over the other side.
    Seems I hit close to the bone here, you one of these workers or related to one ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dabbler2004


    It seems to me to be a very black and white case, Tesco and the staff union Mandate have an agreement in place that Tesco no longer wish to recognise, all for the simple reason of cutting costs.
    Tesco are totally out of order in my opinion.

    Whilst we are in a recession and many people would be glad to have any sort of job I don't think it gives a hugely profitable company like Tesco the right to do what it likes just for the sake of it.

    Fair play to all the workers who are standing up to Tesco's bullying and especially those who aren't directly affected by it but know that their colleagues are being treated unfairly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer


    It seems to me to be a very black and white case, Tesco and the staff union Mandate have an agreement in place that Tesco no longer wish to recognise, all for the simple reason of cutting costs.
    Tesco are totally out of order in my opinion.

    Whilst we are in a recession and many people would be glad to have any sort of job I don't think it gives a hugely profitable company like Tesco the right to do what it likes just for the sake of it.

    Fair play to all the workers who are standing up to Tesco's bullying and especially those who aren't directly affected by it but know that their colleagues are being treated unfairly.
    Then again they are willing to buy out any agreements i.e. the contracts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭colinod


    Jip wrote: »
    Right back at you sunshine. What's Dunnes got to do with this ? I assume your trying to make the point that people aren't passing the pickets and going to Dunnes, but that has nothing to do with support from coworkers.
    If you think I'm deluded, you're gone so far over the other side.
    Seems I hit close to the bone here, you one of these workers or related to one ?



    Does it matter who i am?

    Interesting to hear the lies from the management in the media today

    you one of these managers or related to one ?

    Nice of you to ignore all the points though


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Monty2008


    TESCO THREATEN STAFF WITH LOCKOUT IN DOUGLAS

    Mandate Trade Union claimed today that management in Tesco in Douglas, Cork has threatened staff with a lockout until June. The Douglas staff began an official strike starting today (29 April 2009) due to the company ignoring long standing agreements with their Trade Union, Mandate.

    According to Mandate, management in Tesco called small meetings with their staff members yesterday which had the result of intimidating their workers in advance of the strike.

    Mandate Assistant General Secretary, Linda Tanham said, “We had some very young staff members coming to us in tears because of what was said to them at the company meetings yesterday. Tesco’s behaviour shows disregard for their staff members and their democratic right to protest at the erosion of their terms and conditions. Workers said they felt isolated and put under enormous stress and duress.”

    Mandate said that management told workers that if they go on strike today, the store would remain closed until June and they wouldn’t receive any pay until then.

    Ms Tanham said, “Tesco’s actions are both regrettable and disappointing. This is an official strike and was voted for democratically by our members. However, yesterday Tesco told staff that due to the stress levels they have been under, it would be perfectly acceptable to ring in sick today and they would be fully paid. This was clearly an attempt to break the picket line and staff members have recognised this fact and are angry at the company for it.

    Tesco has brought in managers from around the country to operate the store while the picket is in place. Mandate claims that the dispute can be resolved as soon as the company recognises all agreements put in place between the company and the trade union.

    Ms Tanham said, “This dispute is easily resolved by the company accepting the previous agreements in place with Mandate. The opening of a new store always allows for the transfer of existing staff with their terms and conditions. If this does not happen then the dispute will continue indefinitely.


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭colinod


    Emergency meeting called for 20:30 in rochestown park..Strike off tomorrow..Looks like victory for the workers


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody


    Love how the union try to spin the fact of lock out as some evil plan by the company. Of course the company should pay people to stand outside their building telling them they suck, that makes so much sense :rolleyes:.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661


    Tony Keohane, now CEO Tesco Ireland. Was assistant manager, manager, area manager and regional director of this store when it was Quinnsworth.

    Maybe there are some sour grapes still left on the bush after all these years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash


    Jip wrote: »
    They're resented by both fellow staff and management alike, don't think they have a whole lot of support
    There was a unanimous vote for industrial action in the ballot in favout of the pre 96ers - hardly a sign that they don't have much support from their colleagues!


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭colinod


    There was a unanimous vote for industrial action in the ballot in favout of the pre 96ers - hardly a sign that they don't have much support from their colleagues!


    Era i wouldn't take much notice of jips tripe...He's clearly deluded...He probably thinks they held a gun to their heads


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash


    axer wrote: »
    Then again they are willing to buy out any agreements i.e. the contracts.
    I don't see the relevance of that. They may be willing to "buy out" the contracts but a contract is a binding agreement and the employee is not under any obligation to "sell". Therefore TESCO must accept that the employees have a right to remain on the current contract.

    They could, of course, make a better offer.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mollmac


    well done you guys standing up for your rights you cant let them away with that treatment


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dabbler2004


    colinod wrote: »
    Emergency meeting called for 20:30 in rochestown park..Strike off tomorrow..Looks like victory for the workers

    colinod; any update from this meeting?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip


    colinod wrote: »
    Era i wouldn't take much notice of jips tripe...He's clearly deluded...He probably thinks they held a gun to their heads

    Change your tune, you've used the same argument twice about the gun now and it has been ridiculous both times.

    And it's typical of posters on this site to attack the man rather than the point when someone disagrees with them rather than make any form os substantial argument. Not related to any management nor am I deluded you poor dears.

    Here's what Tesco want to implement and what the whiney Mandate union are in upheaveal about
    “The issue relates to historical ‘guaranteed’ overtime levels which are no longer appropriate . . . The company has offered to pay the compensation in advance whilst the matter proceeds through the third party process,” a Tesco spokesman said yesterday.

    Mandate, the union representing the affected workers, claims the company was asking workers to accept terms and conditions associated with the move to the new store before entering into the LRC process.

    Pre 96ers staff, as I'm sure you don't know but since when has facts got in the way on this thread, are entitled to alot of what are archaic work practises these days such as overtime allowance when they don't even do overtime.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dabbler2004


    Jip you summed it up in your post regarding the pre 96 staff: they are ENTITLED to their overtime payments. These are agreed payments between staff and their employer which are part of their contracts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer


    Jip you summed it up in your post regarding the pre 96 staff: they are ENTITLED to their overtime payments. These are agreed payments between staff and their employer which are part of their contracts.
    Are all these historical ‘guaranteed’ overtime levels actually written into these contracts or just agreed elsewhere?


  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭colinod


    You're hilarious Jip...The piece you posted was all lies from tesco

    Which store do you manage in anyway?

    Love the way you blindly ignore how we pulled you up on the "fellow workers" tripe

    read your posts and you will see why the poster is being attacked.............because you are full of ****


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dabbler2004


    axer wrote: »
    Are all these historical ‘guaranteed’ overtime levels actually written into these contracts or just agreed elsewhere?

    If it's a late night payment it's written in their contracts, also recently they would have been given a statement regarding regular overtime that they are doing (not connected to their late night payments). also where staff have built up a pattern of regular overtime (after a specific number of weeks) this would have to be taken into consideration under 'custom and practice'.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip


    colinod wrote: »
    You're hilarious Jip...The piece you posted was all lies from tesco

    Which store do you manage in anyway?

    Love the way you blindly ignore how we pulled you up on the "fellow workers" tripe

    read your posts and you will see why the poster is being attacked.............because you are full of ****

    Take a step back Colinod, look in the mirror, and you will see something hillarious. Yet again you attack the poster and fail miserably to make any form of substantial argument and again you cannot comprehend the fact that someone that disagrees with you and union bluster cannot be a Tesco manager. Rather than deconstruct any points you make you simply say "that's lies", just as a kid would say.

    I'm not going to debate with someone like yourself, you're exactly the type of person that causes so many of the industrial problems in this country, the blinkers are welded to the side of your face and your fingers are in your ears while you cry 'not listening, not listening'. Regarding the fellow workers point, just search this site and you wil come across a recent post from either such a worker or a brother of one of them to find out exactly they're opinion on them.

    Now when you go away and learn some debating skills, or maybe even ask someone to write a well thought out post for you but you can use yourself, we might get somewhere, until then fell free to continue to use swear words, insults and false allegations. You poor little man.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin


    Jip & collinod - quit the crap and debate the point.

    Jip you do come across as somewhat condescending and you are obviously trolling collinod.

    collinod less of the lip.

    Anymore rubbish like this and I'll close what could be an interesting thread.


Advertisement