Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adventurous Hiking, Camping, Scrambling Clubs

Options
  • 27-04-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone know of any fairly adventurous hiking / Scrambling Clubs based around Dublin or Wicklow???

I am looking for a club that would do things such as:

Hiking (In all weathers and all seasons)

Maybe some scrambling

Camping (Again in All weathers)

Night Navigation

Some Bushcraft & Survival No Harm either

Also any clubs who i do come across generally consist of people a lot older than myself but im sure there must be more young people out there interested in this kind of thing??? (Im just 25)

Any thoughts or Advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Not really sure that exactly such a club exists.

You might want to look at IMRA for mountain running, or the Irish Orienteering Association (or one of the orienteering clubs). There's a good bunch of people in those sports, and in adventure racing, that do some of the more active adventurous end of things.
    Eg: the wicklow rogaine last year, 24 hours long orienteering event, navigating over the wicklow hills in terrible weather, cover a lot of ground in very adverse conditions, swollen rivers, scrambling (depending on route choice, or more correctly, route errors), night nav, rain, wind, lots of hiking/running. Some people camped in the middle of it too, and I'm sure survival skills would have come in handy.

I'm sure theres also groups of people in some of the mountaineering clubs that do alpinism, and that would train in a way that would also tick many of your boxes there, but there doesn't seem to be one club in particular that caters for that.
    ste2006 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anyone know of any fairly adventurous hiking / Scrambling Clubs based around Dublin or Wicklow???

I am looking for a club that would do things such as:

Hiking (In all weathers and all seasons)

Maybe some scrambling

Camping (Again in All weathers)

Night Navigation

Some Bushcraft & Survival No Harm either

Also any clubs who i do come across generally consist of people a lot older than myself but im sure there must be more young people out there interested in this kind of thing??? (Im just 25)

Any thoughts or Advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Ill keep looking and hopefully ill find something,

If anyone else has any ideas please let me know also???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Have you looked at joining a local venture scout group as a leader.

They do all that and more. (bit of as plug i know) but honestly i would expect most groups in dublin to do that every year.

Hi,

No But all of the scout and ventures around me have shut down so not to easy, Is there many units still operating???

Pm your general address and i'll get back with the best fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Join the scouts Dude. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Sounds like your into the same things as myself... Used to do a lot of that stuff with my friends before we all split up all over the country.

I got into caving through UCD where I'm studying. I know your supposed to be a student to join clubs, but a bit of gabby goes a long way.

Anyway, cavings one of the best things i've ever done! All the best adrenaline inducing sports in one. As since the caves we vist are in remote areas (Doolin in clare, Fermanagh etc) you usually end up camping or staying in a scout hut.

It's definitely worth a try if your interested.

Sounds Fun, Where do you do caving???

personally, i've been caving in kerry cork, hungary, and france.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Well we train at the climbing wall in ucd on wednesday nights four to seven, but training is over for the summer. The training is all SRT (Single Rope Technique) which is going up and down a rope (look it up on youtube - great fun) using two jammers and a descender. You'd use it a lot in Fermanagh, not so much in Clare, but still a few spots.

I know its a long way off, but if you are interested come down in september and join up... Best tenner you'd ever spend.

• Advertisement

The only problem is im not a student in UCD or never have been

Advertisement