Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your messages on Hotmail using Evolution, the Ubuntu email client.

Options
  • 27-04-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I was searching for a way to access my Hotmail account using Evolution and I came across this message on the Ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7137377&postcount=422 These settings work for me so far, see below:
    Incoming server: pop3.live.com
    Username: your_username @hotmail.com
    Use secure connection: SSL
    Authentication type: password

Server: smtp.live.com
    Use Secure Connection: TLS Encryption
    Authentication Type: Login

To add a Hotmail account to Evolution; on the Menu bar click Edit, then Preferences and Add, to add a new account. Then enter the settings above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Nice one, I tried Evolution but didn't like it, so now I receive Yahoo mail thru Thunderbird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

This is not a perfect soluotion:

1) Probably need to check the box "Leave messages on the server" because accessing using POP seems to shift all mail to the Deleted folder in Hotmail. Whoops! :eek:

2) Only downloads whats in the Inbox not Junk folder.

3) I can't send mail using these settings so smtp.live.com maybe wrong. Also Evolution sends mail using the default mail account, regardless of the account I select in the mail message window.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Since when did hotmail allow pop access?
    Oracle wrote: »
    I can't send mail using these settings so smtp.live.com maybe wrong. Also Evolution sends mail using the default mail account, regardless of the account I select in the mail message window.
    Can't you just use your isp's smtp server?

My ISP email server setting worked with Hotmail but not Gmail, not sure why. I rarely send mail using the Hotmail account anyway.

Hotmail announced POP access for all users last month: http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/settings/archive/2009/01/13/pop3-availability-in-windows-live-hotmail.aspx

Setting up mail client:
    http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/settings/archive/2009/01/06/send-and-receive-windows-live-hotmail-emails-from-a-mail-client.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

1) Probably need to check the box "Leave messages on the server" because accessing using POP seems to shift all mail to the Deleted folder in Hotmail. Whoops! :eek:

This is pretty standard for POP clients (shouldn't be, in 2009, IMO). Beware!
    2) Only downloads whats in the Inbox not Junk folder.

This is a good thing! :)
    3) I can't send mail using these settings so smtp.live.com maybe wrong. Also Evolution sends mail using the default mail account, regardless of the account I select in the mail message window.

This may be your ISP blocking outbound SMTP. Using your ISP relay as mentioned above might not work well, as Hotmail use SPF records. Give your ISP a quick call to see if they block outbound SMTP, and if it's possible to get it unblocked for you.

• Advertisement

Yeah thanks FruitLover my ISP does block port 25 but I can use another port (port 587). I don't send mail using Hotmail much anyway, and Gmail SMTP works, so it's not a problem really. This email stuff is many too complicated.

Advertisement