Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on my job application that I'm sure must be illegeal?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently got a job (won't say where) and my application form was filled with the same old stuff (PPS, etc.) but I was surprised to see towards the back, a question asking what my ethnic background was, giving options of white, Asian, African, etc. I asked round my friends and they said that because they stated beforehand (which they did) that it was for statistical purposes they're allowed ask. But surely this can't be true? Just by putting 'statistical purposes' before a question shouldn't give you the right to ask something like that? I mean I heard somewhere that you're not allowed ask for marital status or even DOB so surely this shouldn't be allowed! Any thoughts?

ps I put Hispanic by the way, just to fight the system!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Hi, I recently got a job (won't say where) and my application form was filled with the same old stuff (PPS, etc.) but I was surprised to see towards the back, a question asking what my ethnic background was, giving options of white, Asian, African, etc. I asked round my friends and they said that because they stated beforehand (which they did) that it was for statistical purposes they're allowed ask. But surely this can't be true? Just by putting 'statistical purposes' before a question shouldn't give you the right to ask something like that? I mean I heard somewhere that you're not allowed ask for marital status or even DOB so surely this shouldn't be allowed! Any thoughts?

ps I put Hispanic by the way, just to fight the system!
    It is not illegal to ask it, it is just illegal to discriminate against the application because of their ethnicity. You could have left it blank if you did not want to answer it.

I would not hire you now because you lied on your application form or you are a smart ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

axer wrote: »
    I would not hire you now because you lied on your application form or you are a smart ar$e.

No biggy, was only working for a day anyway, just needed the details off of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think in the UK they're required to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But it would be on a separate form without your name on it. It would be placed in a separate envelope and not opened by the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A lot of multinational companies will have that. Very common in the USA where its used for statistical purposes. Usually its on a detachable pages. There is no obligation to fill it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

I think in the UK they're required to do that.

Yup, supposedly it's to prevent discrimination ...

Advertisement