Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training for Cork Marathon - And I woke with a cold today. Any advice?

Options
  • 27-04-2009 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I did my 18 mile training run yesterday. Next week is the last big one - 20 miles. But I woke up with a head cold and a cough today. So my question is - to train or not to train?

My instinct is to ignore it and keep going.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

conor87 wrote: »
    I did my 18 mile training run yesterday. Next week is the last big one - 20 miles. But I woke up with a head cold and a cough today. So my question is - to train or not to train?

My instinct is to ignore it and keep going.

Any thoughts?

Your instinct is wrong. Rest completely until you are fully better, whether it be 3 days or a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 conor87

Oh, thanks for that.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

you weren't in Mexico by any chance?

I tried doing a 20 mile run while under the weather last year and it was a disaster, no energy, felt horrible, nearly put me off the whole thing. You're not going to miss much training by taking a few days off to make sure you are fully recovered. Benefits will outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 conor87

Yeah, I suppose you're right. 20 miles is tough enough at the best of times.

No, I wasn't in Mexico ;) ....I was in Wexford though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Rest rest rest , If your not well don't train .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

I'd always heard that if a cold is above the neck it's okay to train.. Hang on .. is this medical advice :P?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

conor87 wrote: »
    Oh, thanks for that.

Why do you say that?

You have a cold because your body has been unable to cope with the training demands placed upon it, so it has broken down. Allow it to build back up by resting. A few days, or maybe a week, and you can get back to training. If you train away now you'll probably just drag the cold out for longer and run yourself down more.

Learn what triggered the cold - too many hard sessions together?, doing the long run when already tired or run down?....so that you can avoid the mistake in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

mrak wrote: »
    I'd always heard that if a cold is above the neck it's okay to train.. Hang on .. is this medical advice :P?

where else can a cold be,,lol:D

Advertisement