Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reads of Parliament Street

Options
  • 26-04-2009 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ive spent the last few weeks checking out parts of Dublin Ive forgotton about or never knew.. as its kinda interesting...

Anybody know anything about Read's Cutlers? It is meant to be Dublins oldest shop. Just passed today (Sunday) & it looked closed. Is it still open? When did it close? Ive also seen on the internet its address is Fishamble street. Why is this?

Ive also visited an old Huguenot Cementry off Kevin Street or close by. I think its called the cabbage patch. Its now a poor quality park however theres still aload of old 1700-1800 gravestones piled up against the wall and a few still in place. I hear theres another in the area also? Anybody got any info about this place or anything else interesting and forgotton parts of Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Read's has been closed for quite a number of years now. In Britain the National Trust would have taken over such an important building/institution but here we will wait for the developer's wrecking ball or the participants in a cider party to burn it down. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

A couple of years ago that park on Jervis street was being renovated and they too had a lot of very old head stones piled against a wall, not sure if there was actually a grave yard there or the stones where being used as paving slabs,which TBH I find a bit distasteful, I know the people are long gone,but a little more respect with their memory would be nice.I didn't know there was Huguenot cementry on kevin street,I thought it was on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The Huguenot cemetary is on Merrion Row, just as you leave the Green by the Shelbourne. Jaysus lads, I'm not even from Dublin and I know that:D

I think the North treat their monuments and antiquities much better than here. The Lissadel debacle here in Sligo was a disgrace. Preservation orders seem to lifted as easily as applies too. There was a pub in Sligo the Corporation de-listed to make extra space for a shopping center, until the locals raised hell. The fact that they'd try it shows their mentality towards our heritage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Jervis st reference was a graveyard attached to St. Mary's church (the one that's a pub now). No effort made to record the names on the headstones before they did it either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

By and large throughout the city Huguenot cemetries from the Kevin Street area have been relocated to Mount Jermoe near Harolds Cross

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ehhowaya

really want to get inside the graveyard up by the Shelbourne, it's not open to the public though :(

Advertisement