Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper van import.

Options
  • 26-04-2009 5:32pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 12

Hi all,

We are from Belgium and live & work in Ireland now.
    We brought our camper van which we owned sins 2004.
    We would like to change our belgian plates for Irish plates.

How can we apply for this and would there be somethings like headlight to be changed ?

Please help us!

Regards Vincent...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Vincent,you neeed to take your van to your local VRT centre(will be on google)
    Simple form to be filled out,you need all relevant paper work, a weighbridge certificate,and the pps number of the person who is paying. If your van is over 3000kg (and meets 1.8m internal height requirement) you will pay €50. If under,you will pay 13.3% of what they deem to be open market value here in Ireland.Not sure nationwide but in my local office they don't accept cash or creditcard.Cheque or postal order or debit card up to €250 i think.

Good luck,its an easy process,if an unfair one to go through.Unless I could get the €50 rate I'd be trying to keep the Belgium plates;)Might be tricky with insurance if your living here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Don't have to pay any vrt, just need to prove that owned it while living abroad

Didn't think of that Laducar:) Not sure of how that works though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

If I remember right u need to prove that you had the van for at least 6months while living at the foreign address

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

aerosol wrote: »
    If your van is over 3000kg (and meets 1.8m internal height requirement) you will pay €50. If under,you will pay 13.3% of what they deem to be open market value here in Ireland.
    Is that the same for a commercial van or just a motorhome?

• Advertisement

Richie,I think any commercial vechicle is flat €50 rate:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

zuzutje wrote: »
    Hi all,

We are from Belgium and live & work in Ireland now.
    We brought our camper van which we owned sins 2004.
    We would like to change our belgian plates for Irish plates.

How can we apply for this and would there be somethings like headlight to be changed ?

Please help us!

Regards Vincent...

You need to contact your local Vehicle Registration Office and bring the following:
    -as much written proof as you can, showing that you owned and used this vehicle in Belgium. (insurance invoices, garage invoices, anything you have)
    - the vehicle registration documents
    - proof that you are resident in ireland now (social security number, a few household bills)

You should then be eligible for VRT exemption.

You do not HAVE to change the lights, but the correct lights make driving so much safer, so it would be in your interest to do so.

Advertisement