Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallow Martial Arts

Options
  • 26-04-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi.

Can anyone tell me what martial arts clubs are currently running in Mallow.
    I know that at the moment there is a Muai Thai club, however I'm unaware of any other martial arts clubs in the local area.

Thank you for your help on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tiger king thai

i run the thai boxing in mallow. do classes in woodview drive centre and the hi b hotel .both classes start at seven and finish at half eight. your more than welcome to come and have a look at a class

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johntoc

What days of the week are the classes on? Ive done Karate for about 6 months and Tae Kwon Do for around 4 reaching black belt. This was all before the age of 16 im 26 now and go to the gym 2-3 times a week so my fitness isnt too bad. Is there any gradings or levels in muay thai or is it more like boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I know this is an old thread, but I have pretty much the same question. Considering it's been a couple of years, info may have changed

Also, I'm wondering, if there's any classes during the day, or a possibility of a one on one during the day.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

Bump
    looking for info on these classes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nibles48

Hey,

I've been training in a small Jujitsu Club in mallow for the last 3 years, and its very self defense orientated but its great fun too. I trained in Tae Kwon Do for a long time previously but I find Jujitsu is more rounded and works the hole body.

We don't have any competitions to enter or anything like that. I found most other martial arts are very orientated towards competition, which is great for kids but I wanted something that I felt was more effective if worst came to worst. It very much focuses on being fit and building your technique.

At the moment classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Patrician Academy at 7.30. P.M. me and I can try and answer any questions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

nibles48 wrote: »
    Hey,

I've been training in a small Jujitsu Club in mallow for the last 3 years, and its very self defense orientated but its great fun too. I trained in Tae Kwon Do for a long time previously but I find Jujitsu is more rounded and works the hole body.

We don't have any competitions to enter or anything like that. I found most other martial arts are very orientated towards competition, which is great for kids but I wanted something that I felt was more effective if worst came to worst. It very much focuses on being fit and building your technique.

At the moment classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Patrician Academy at 7.30. P.M. me and I can try and answer any questions :)

Curious as to why you feel competition is only suitable for kids

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

cletus wrote: »
    Curious as to why you feel competition is only suitable for kids

because competition in the style he has experience competing in (tkd) is in my opinion a fun game of tag more than real competition, same in mine (shotokan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

because competition in the style he has experience competing in (tkd) is in my opinion a fun game of tag more than real competition, same in mine (shotokan)

Hey now, tag can be competitive too. (Got a broken nose in my last shotokan competition, too. :( )

Being ready "if worst came to worst" would probably be better served by full contact competition (boxing, muay thai, kyokushin karate, even judo) rather than focusing on fitness and technique, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nibles48

Nichololas wrote: »
    Hey now, tag can be competitive too. (Got a broken nose in my last shotokan competition, too. :( )

Being ready "if worst came to worst" would probably be better served by full contact competition (boxing, muay thai, kyokushin karate, even judo) rather than focusing on fitness and technique, though.

Ya I had my fair share of injuries during sparring back when I was training in TKD :) The style of Jujitsu (Japanese) I'm train in now utilizes things that are not allowed in any formal competition even (like fish hooking, banded by UFC even).

I think people can get carried away with the idea of full contact training as they still adhere to a series of rules and concentrate mostly on stand up techniques, most fights end up on the floor at some point. Even kyokushin doesn't allow punches to the head during competition but they do train really hard and I wouldn't like to meet a practitioner of that style in a dark ally ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

Ya I had my fair share of injuries during sparring back when I was training in TKD :) The style of Jujitsu (Japanese) I'm train in now utilizes things that are not allowed in any formal competition even (like fish hooking, banded by UFC even).

I think people can get carried away with the idea of full contact training as they still adhere to a series of rules and concentrate mostly on stand up techniques, most fights end up on the floor at some point. Even kyokushin doesn't allow punches to the head during competition but they do train really hard and I wouldn't like to meet a practitioner of that style in a dark ally ;)

And do you practice fish hooking regularly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

I'm train in now utilizes things that are not allowed in any formal competition even (like fish hooking, banded by UFC even).
    cletus wrote: »
    And do you practice fish hooking regularly?

Yeah I winced bit when I saw that as well.

The problem with using 'for the streets' stuff like fishhooking, bollock hoofing, eye gouging etc is that there is no way to train it effectively, at best you are not following through on strikes and there is nothing close to full contact sparring with fish hooking etc allowed.

In short, 'for the streets' stuff, while fun, is from a practical standpoint, a waste of time. You'd be much better served sticking to training things that are trainable.

In my opinion, competition is a great motivator. Even if you don't want to compete yourself, training in a gym that competes regularly means there is a good chance that the fighters you are training with are in shape and actively looking to improve.
    Preparing to fight should see you in the gym 6 days a week instead of a couple of days a week and so dramatically increases your learning curve.

Advertisement