Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you can get done for 2.5k internal grant

Options
  • 26-04-2009 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all
    We're doing some renovations on a tight budget. Want to insulate the house - particularly - the old part (circa 100 yrs) which is very cold. Based on other thread and on askaboutmoney I'm seeing estimates of about 60 to 70 euro per sq mtr for dry-lining (35 to 50 for board, 8 to 10 for slabbing and 14 to 15 for skimming per board).

Based on that if we got our external internal walls dry-lined I estimat it to be between 2100 and 2500 which the grant would cover (43sqmtr of wall minus 7 sqmtr of window). I know that the job would depend on trickiness of cutting etc but does this seem like a correct estimate?

What thickness of insulation should we be expecting from our SEI contractor - 100mm or 50mm?

A lot of the house is already covered in painted cladding over basic insulation board. We plan on replacing this ourselves as quite suits this old farmhouse/cottage/dormer style. Any recommendations on what to use there?

I know we will have to use the SEI site but am bit worried bout cowboys jumping on the bandwagon so any tips on what to look for is appreciated.

Also any SEI registered who will work in Meath area welcome to PM me if interested in this job - will also be doing roof insulation, solar and hopefully underfloor heating.

Thanks in advance...
    Cody

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Cody wrote: »
    Hi all
    We're doing some renovations on a tight budget. Want to insulate the house - particularly - the old part (circa 100 yrs) which is very cold. Based on other thread and on askaboutmoney I'm seeing estimates of about 60 to 70 euro per sq mtr for dry-lining (35 to 50 for board, 8 to 10 for slabbing and 14 to 15 for skimming per board).

Based on that if we got our external internal walls dry-lined I estimat it to be between 2100 and 2500 which the grant would cover (43sqmtr of wall minus 7 sqmtr of window). I know that the job would depend on trickiness of cutting etc but does this seem like a correct estimate?

What thickness of insulation should we be expecting from our SEI contractor - 100mm or 50mm?

A lot of the house is already covered in painted cladding over basic insulation board. We plan on replacing this ourselves as quite suits this old farmhouse/cottage/dormer style. Any recommendations on what to use there?

I know we will have to use the SEI site but am bit worried bout cowboys jumping on the bandwagon so any tips on what to look for is appreciated.

Also any SEI registered who will work in Meath area welcome to PM me if interested in this job - will also be doing roof insulation, solar and hopefully underfloor heating.

Thanks in advance...
    Cody

First up, this is not about BER, pretty much the wrong forum.

Second, the point of SEI having a contractor list is to avoid cowboys jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to C & P forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The grant is the max you will get . Spend less - you get less . It is intended that you carry out a whole house installation . So if you are not doing a whole house job you may find that , if audited , you get the grant on a pro rata basis .

Example . To dry line whole house- cost €6k . But you only do half the house spending €3k . You are audited . You will get max grant /2 = €1250.00

And if ( admittedly unlikely ) the whole house only cost €2k - that is all you get in grant.

Some justifications will be accepted for not doing the whole house - you are not expected to rip out kitchens and bathrooms or other fitted furniture for example .

• Subscribers Posts: 41,124 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if dry lining internally 'properly' this would included removal of:
    1. stairs
    2. bathroom fittings
    3. kitchen units
    4. other fittings on external walls....

i really cannot see many houses doing this.... so will SEI be only handing out the full grant to persons who do the above?? i doubt it...

i was talking to someone last week who has be assured by SEI that he can draw down the full grant of €4000 for external insulation even though hes only externally insulating one of his 3 walls....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i really cannot see many houses doing this.... so will SEI be only handing out the full grant to persons who do the above?? i doubt it....

Wait and see . I think they should actually . It is valid to improve the thermal performance of a building even if in a less than ideal way eg to restrict to a front and/or rear elevation . Gable walls will typically present the stairway and bathroom and kitchen .

I say it is best not to get hung up on this - the house will still perform better ( consume less fuel ) and feel better to live in if the rest of the house is done

• Advertisement

sinnerboy wrote: »

I say it is best not to get hung up on this - the house will still perform better ( consume less fuel ) and feel better to live in if the rest of the house is done

and perversely may restrict those problems inherent with some drylining systems.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cody

Thanks for the replies but I think you're missing the point of my post - sure it's better to do the whole thing but we cannot afford that - simple. The question was about our estimates of what we could get done on the grant - and there is nothing in the literature of SEI - about being pro-rata. - in fact it states that it's not. The rest of the insulation we will be doing ourselves - I'm sorry if this offends anyone but needs must and money is limited.

In that case - contact SEI yourself .

And then be kind enough to post your findings here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cody

Sinnerboy - I don't need to contact SEi at the moment as that's not what my question is about - it's actually about the per sq mtr cost of dry lining - forget about SEI for the moment. It's also about DIY insulating. By all means I'm not asking you to answer these questions but I think you're getting side-tracked. The question is for anyone who may have recently had dry-lining done or done some themselves. If nobody can answer that fine but that's what this thread is asking. Thanks.

Sinnerboy - I don't need to contact SEi at the moment as that's not what my question is about - it's actually about the per sq mtr cost of dry lining - forget about SEI for the moment.

look at your thread title
    It's also about DIY insulating. By all means I'm not asking you to answer these questions but I think you're getting side-tracked. The question is for anyone who may have recently had dry-lining done or done some themselves. If nobody can answer that fine but that's what this thread is asking. Thanks.

The rates you've quoted are typical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭timmer3

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i was talking to someone last week who has be assured by SEI that he can draw down the full grant of €4000 for external insulation even though hes only externally insulating one of his 3 walls....

just to clarify that... a few contractors told me to get it in writing from SEI that this was acceptable since they think SEI are making up the rules as they go along. i followed up with SEI and they said if there is justification for only doing one wall (i.e. disturbing the line of a terrace on front/back) and if the other walls are being dry-lined, then they will honour the full €4000 grant. SEI told me it was up to the contractor to explain why only one wall was done. this seems completely flaky from SEI, you'd think they would make a strict policy and put it on their terms and conditions, rather than leave it up to the discretion of the contractor to argue the case for the grant.

timmer3 wrote: »
    just to clarify that... a few contractors told me to get it in writing from SEI that this was acceptable since they think SEI are making up the rules as they go along. i followed up with SEI and they said if there is justification for only doing one wall (i.e. disturbing the line of a terrace on front/back) and if the other walls are being dry-lined, then they will honour the full €4000 grant. SEI told me it was up to the contractor to explain why only one wall was done. this seems completely flaky from SEI, you'd think they would make a strict policy and put it on their terms and conditions, rather than leave it up to the discretion of the contractor to argue the case for the grant.

thanks for the clarification Tim, im not surprise that SEI seem to be making it up as they go along.... it wouldnt be the first time...

Advertisement