Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish UK Leauge Football Supporters?

Options
  • 25-04-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Why do we have so many Irish people who support English leauge football??

I've no interest in sports or football, but i do find it amazing that we've adopted the UK football as our own??

Nothing got to do with 800 years of opression i'd be still curious if we supported the US soccer the same way as we do the UK.

So what is it?? Why do people in this country support it rather than our own leauge, buy the shirts, even fly over to see them, watch it on Irish terrestrial tv?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They enjoy it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Because it's one of the best leagues in the world containing some of the world's best players, and it's only a stone's throw from our own back door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Volvoboy wrote: »

I've no interest in sports or football, but i do find it amazing that we've adopted the UK football as our own??

Nothing got to do with 800 years of opression i'd be still curious if we supported the US soccer the same way as we do the UK.

So what is it?? Why do people in this country support it, buy the shirts, even fly over to see them?

it is unfortunate that irish leauge soccer is'nt supported as it once was.it mystifies me also.i understand the quality of football is much higher in england but i dont get the making of arbitrary tribal allegiances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Dante

Because of the money, the fact that anyone half decent from Ireland plays there and because the FAI are shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Because it's the best league in the world? Because it's right beside us? Because the level of football played is world class?

A lot of teams have had large Irish connections as well over the years, passed down through generations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

So what is it?? Why do people in this country support it rather than our own leauge, buy the shirts, even fly over to see them, watch it on Irish terrestrial tv?

The standard of football being played is far better than that being played in the Eircom League.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Marketing/The fact our own league isn't world class

Soccer forum tbh anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

Because The LOI is rubbish.

That and it could be because of people moving duing the previous recession moved to england for work and became intested in english football which then passed it up the generations.

Thats what happened with my Grandad.They moved to Manchester and lived beside Old trafford in the late 70's and now were all United mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

For the love of God. This is just silly. The Premier League is considered one of the best football leagues in the world, if not the best. The Irish league isn't anywhere near as exciting.

It's like saying why do people follow the NFL when we have the Cork Admirals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I do Italian football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

What ccosgrave said. Have you ever watched the Eircom League? Its terrible.

Access to other leagues is difficult as well. I remember me and my brother supported Italian teams pretty much to the same extent as we would support English teams when they used to show Football Italia on Channel 4. Its hard for me to keep up with other Leagues as I dont have digital TV.

And also every top Irish player plays in the League. Thats what historically started people supporting Liverpool, United, Arsenal as these teams have a history of Irish players.

And then I'm sure a lot of team allegiances have been passed down from generation to generation, so I would say its these historical factors you would have to look for in your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Poccington wrote: »
    The standard of football being played is far better than that being played in the Eircom League.

But say if we supported the Irish league as much as we supported the UK, wouldnt the Irish league have more money from supporters to buy players hence better games??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

when my aul fella was young you could hardly get into Dublin League of Ireland grounds because they were so full

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

It's top class football,extremely popular here so always good banter in a pub watching a game. I would love if i could afford to go to Old Trafford more often. I do attend LOI games as well.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

But say if we supported the Irish league as much as we supported the UK, wouldnt the Irish league have more money from supporters to buy players hence better games??

+1

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

People want success now and arn't gonna suddenly start supporting a club now hoping to help it, it's much more fun to badmouth the league and support and English team. It's like when Shels had their run the the champions league qualifiers. It suddenly looked like we might have a successful club and everyone hopped on the bandwaggon. I wonder how many of them claim to be shels supporters now?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

- Many parts of Ireland don't have a local eircom league team to follow.

- The premier League is the biggest, best football league in the world and it's only getting better.

Edit: Just to clarify that the Eircom league is not at all a rubbish game. There are some very good teams and players playing in Ireland and I would certainly go to mathces if I had a local team to follow. As it is, I watch the live games on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

K4t wrote: »
    - Many parts of Ireland don't have a local eircom league team to follow.

So they support one thats in another country???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you don't watch football then you probably wouldn't understand. Its a faster and more exciting league than the rest bar Bundesliga this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Poccington wrote: »
    Ya, so going by your outlook, it would be okay for a rugby fan from Galway to disregard Connacht and support Munster simply because they are a superior outfit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Because The LOI is rubbish.

Have to laugh at that, certainly not as good as the Premier league but to say it's rubbish is nothing short of laughable.

The answer is that the Irish republic are bandwagon jumping, event junkies. Look at Sunderland and how many Irish fans they got all of a sudden. Where are those fans gone? Look at the Dubs in GAA, how many fans do they get at league matches compared to Champo, and how many will they get at Hurling matches now after their recent successes.

Used to be a United fan but got sick of it, so now I'm a Bohs fan, full time Thanks to my uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Well, for any money the LOI has been getting, they haven't necessarily done much with it.

They should be setting up Academies like the English have and investing in better administrators in the local divisions. The Galway FA is an absolute shambles, particularly in the underage department. Fixtures mixed up, teams being handed byes, other teams not getting point deductions when they forfeit a match for their own benefit. It's madness.

I do watch the LOI, have a couple of Galway United jerseys but more Man Utd jerseys. My friends and I talk more about the EPL, but it doesn't mean we don't support our local teams either. You just don't hear about it as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Because of the money, the fact that anyone half decent from Ireland plays there and because the FAI are shambolic.

Don't hide the fact you're a Rovers fan. Scum :mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Soccer? In AH?

It's very eighties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement