Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd occurance?

Options
  • 25-04-2009 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Way back when (1996) I was hitching a ride from Enniskillen in Co.Fermanagh to Ballyshannon, Co.Donegal. I'd been living in Ballyshannon for a short time at that time. Anyway, I was picked up by a German woman and her young son. She was only going halfway and said she's drop me there, fine.

So, half an hour later we arrive at her countryside home, it was the middle of summer and very warm and she asked if I'd like a drink, sure. We get out of the car and walk towardss the doorway to her house. She goes inside, child in tow, I stop right at the doorway and peer in, stopped dead in my tracks, don't know why. She beckoned me to come inside but I didn't. She asked would I prefer to wait outside and I said yes. So, she brings me out my drink I drink it and with a quick bye I head off.

A week later I am again hitching from Enniskillen to back to Ballyshannon, an English guy, saleman who's going to Ballyshannon, gives me a lift. We're chatting away as you do and as we begun to approach the house I wouldn't go into a week earlier the car starts cutting out. We get closer to the house and the car finally gives out and stops dead centre right outside the house!

I mentioned to the driver that I had been at this house a week earlier, he didn't say anything. I suggested that maybe if he needed a tow truck he should knock on the door (I wasn't going to)....this was just before mobiles came out in a big way. Over he walks, knocks, door opens, the woman steps out and gives me a smile and a wave. Yeah, hi....:o

I jump out and continue hitching. And that's that. Now, maybe it was nothing, maybe just a simple breakdown. But for it to happen exactly outside the house and the total lack of surprise from the woman when she saw me, didn't bat an eyelid suggested something else..........Any ideas? Thanks

p.s: And I fully realise it could simply have been a coincidence but personally I think not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

I don't know why, but that's after reminding me of a story I read a few years back from a book of true Irish ghost stories.

A lady had a dream that she was walking up a garden path of a house in the country side somewhere and it was a summers day. When she got to the door and knocked at it an old lady answered and that was the end of the dream. she kept having the same dream for 2 or 3 years and it was always the same.

anyways, she and her husband decided to stay in Ireland for their holidays and travel around. And on one of the days as they were driving she recognised the road they were on from her dream and low and behold there was the house! they stopped the car and just had to knock on the door although she was terrifed.

The same old lady answered the door and turned white, so the lady explained to the old lady about the dream and asked was there anything special or strange about the house (as to why she kept dreaming about it) and the old lady replied that yes the house was haunted! and when asked who it was haunted by, the old lady replied "you"!, for the past few years, you have walked up my garden and knocked at my door and when I answer you dissapear!.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

that is scary stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Strange Magenta73, your story reminds me of a story my one my dad told me which happened to a guy he worked with.

It was years ago but from what I remember basically my dad's colleague had bought a house in the country, when he moved into it it turned out to be haunted. He very regularly so people dress from the past in the house. Anyway the story goes that he got someone in and they managed to communicate with these "ghosts", they asked them why they were haunting the house; it turned out that these ghosts thought my dad's colleague and family were haunting the place. It appears that effectively there were two times lines in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

marti8 wrote: »
    Way back when (1996) I was hitching a ride from Enniskillen in Co.Fermanagh to Ballyshannon, Co.Donegal. I'd been living in Ballyshannon for a short time at that time. Anyway, I was picked up by a German woman and her young son. She was only going halfway and said she's drop me there, fine.

So, half an hour later we arrive at her countryside home, it was the middle of summer and very warm and she asked if I'd like a drink, sure. We get out of the car and walk towardss the doorway to her house. She goes inside, child in tow, I stop right at the doorway and peer in, stopped dead in my tracks, don't know why. She beckoned me to come inside but I didn't. She asked would I prefer to wait outside and I said yes. So, she brings me out my drink I drink it and with a quick bye I head off.

A week later I am again hitching from Enniskillen to back to Ballyshannon, an English guy, saleman who's going to Ballyshannon, gives me a lift. We're chatting away as you do and as we begun to approach the house I wouldn't go into a week earlier the car starts cutting out. We get closer to the house and the car finally gives out and stops dead centre right outside the house!

I mentioned to the driver that I had been at this house a week earlier, he didn't say anything. I suggested that maybe if he needed a tow truck he should knock on the door (I wasn't going to)....this was just before mobiles came out in a big way. Over he walks, knocks, door opens, the woman steps out and gives me a smile and a wave. Yeah, hi....:o

I jump out and continue hitching. And that's that. Now, maybe it was nothing, maybe just a simple breakdown. But for it to happen exactly outside the house and the total lack of surprise from the woman when she saw me, didn't bat an eyelid suggested something else..........Any ideas? Thanks

p.s: And I fully realise it could simply have been a coincidence but personally I think not.
    This is an interesting story, can you give more detail as to the location? Maybe someone here lives round there or knows of the history of the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

those last two experiences sound very similar to The Man of the Future by Edward Bryant. Its a ghost story where a family have a ghost which in reality is a man in the future who is being haunted by the family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Gillo wrote: »
    Strange Magenta73, your story reminds me of a story my one my dad told me which happened to a guy he worked with.

It was years ago but from what I remember basically my dad's colleague had bought a house in the country, when he moved into it it turned out to be haunted. He very regularly so people dress from the past in the house. Anyway the story goes that he got someone in and they managed to communicate with these "ghosts", they asked them why they were haunting the house; it turned out that these ghosts thought my dad's colleague and family were haunting the place. It appears that effectively there were two times lines in the house.

Sure he didn't just steal that from the plot of
    The Others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

you just gave me the shivers reading that!!

I'd be convinced there's something to it, you said you got a feeling initially when she asked you in so something seemed to be attracting you to that place. Very strange, you should visit the place sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

liah wrote: »
    Sure he didn't just steal that from the plot of
    The Others?

Yeah, it was well before that came out, maybe it's a common enough occurance (in relation to hauntings) and that's what the film is based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Marcus Suridius

Gillo wrote: »

I wonder if that theory of a time line issue could be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Well, there is a phenomenon known as a Time Slip, which is somewhat related to this. Even though I've only read anecdotal evidence on it, it still fasinates me nonetheless. I do recall hearing something though, about ghosts from different time periods haunting the same property. It's all rather complicated stuff at times.

Suppose it's all the more reason for Parapsychology to be taken more seriously as a science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

jesus.....gave me the shivers too:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭+*EliteSniper*+

Wow:eek: thats weird, if that was a coincident it was the weirdest one i ever head of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Ziycon wrote: »
    This is an interesting story, can you give more detail as to the location? Maybe someone here lives round there or knows of the history of the area.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that, maybe someone on here lives in that area? From what I remember it is a house thats almost exactly halfway between Enniskillen and Ballyshannon but in Co.Fermanagh on the right hand side of the road coming from Enniskilllen to Ballyshannon (I think there are one or two houses directly opposite it, slightly elevated) I think there might be holiday bungalows near the property because the German woman (who I remember was from Freiburg in Germany - near Switzerland) said that they either had holiday cottages or managed them or something (I didn't see any)

Yeah, personally I don't think it was a coincidence but of course there is the chance it was. It was rather strange alright. I've often though about going back there (but you can't exactly walk up and knock on someones door and say: em, hi.....! But who knows might go back there sometime (and pop upto Moville in Co.Donegal while I'm at it. Strange experience there too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

what strange experience? do tell!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Wow:eek: thats weird, if that was a coincident it was the weirdest one i ever head of
    spiderdog wrote: »
    jesus.....gave me the shivers too:eek:
    Famous45 wrote: »
    you just gave me the shivers reading that!!

I'd be convinced there's something to it, you said you got a feeling initially when she asked you in so something seemed to be attracting you to that place. Very strange, you should visit the place sometime

Am I the only one that doesn't see why this is so weird? It's just a coincidence in fairness.

You think the woman and her child cast a spell to draw him back to their house?

Coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Serena08

+ 1 too much of a coincidence for me I think :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Am I the only one that doesn't see why this is so weird? It's just a coincidence in fairness.

Coincidence.

sthe germans are coming :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Coincidence.

Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. I'd learn more towards the "not" though. It was strange, I think I felt a certain attraction towards the woman but nothing happened of course - but I think back then I probably felt an attraction to every second woman I met, lol. I can remember it vividly enough even though it's years later now. If anyone has any ideas would like to hear them, thought I'd bump this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

marti8 wrote: »
    Way back when (1996) I was hitching a ride from Enniskillen in Co.Fermanagh to Ballyshannon, Co.Donegal....
    So, a car co-incidentally broke down outside a house you'd been to before and the owner of the house didn't seem surprised to see you. It was coincidence, not something to call the Ghostbusters over.
    magenta73 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but that's after reminding me of a story I read a few years back from a book of true Irish ghost stories...
    Yeah, I've read that in a Bunty annual from 1980. It's not true, it's a fairy story.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

Yeah I think it was sheer a coincidence to meet the lady twice. If it was some ghostly spirit than she would have forced you to stay there with her. ;) Having you miss this forum. lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

It seems that you were meant to go into that house!
    Why you hesistated is interesting.

Advertisement