Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World History (WW1/2) as taught in German Schools

Options
  • 25-04-2009 4:13pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently I was talking with a german fellow about education.

He mentioned that the German history lessons in school just go up as far as the end of 1800s. The period afterwards (1900s onwards i.e. WW1 buildup to post WW2) is not mentioned and the pupils are told that the Germans did many bad things here and are totally guilty for all of this.

Must be some burden to have collectively.

Now, I've lots of German friends and colleagues from previous times but found it interesting to hear this from him. It is not something I would have asked directly.

Have you ever had conversations like this with Germans? Imagine how it would affect you and your perception of your country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I find it strange that they don't teach and discuss that part of their history, seems a bit like living in denial,if we don't talk about it,just tell the students that they should feel ashamed,but leave it to the history channel to explain why,well,I'd imagine there leaving a whole generation with mixed up feelings about the whole thing.Surely an educated and informed people are less likely to repeat the mistakes of their forfathers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What age was this guy?
    I know that used to be the case, but was under the impression they changed following reunification. Perhaps not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Going into a Waterstones there seems to be the reverse of the issue, in that there are few if any pre-WWI/WWII books dealing with German history. Which is a bit of a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

My girlfriend is German (Berliner). She's in her mid 20s, she was taught all about it in school. Especially ww2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

spurious wrote: »
    What age was this guy?
    I know that used to be the case, but was under the impression they changed following reunification. Perhaps not?

He is 29.
    #15 wrote: »
    My girlfriend is German (Berliner). She's in her mid 20s, she was taught all about it in school. Especially ww2.

Interesting. This guy is from around Frankfurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Many countries don't teach their schoolchildren the evil side of their nation's past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

What school was your friend going to?
    When I was in school (25 years ago) we did it and all friends I know of (different ages and from former East and West germany) did it.
    So you're friend is either lying or he might have slept through these lessons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

mdebets wrote: »
    What school was your friend going to?
    When I was in school (25 years ago) we did it and all friends I know of (different ages and from former East and West germany) did it.
    So you're friend is either lying or he might have slept through these lessons.

No idea where he went to school exactly.

I'll try and track him down when he is back from hols at beginning of June.

Advertisement