Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! Backing tracks skipping on laptop when gigging

Options
  • 25-04-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've just recently set up a 2-piece band using 2 guitars and backing tracks, we run the backing tracks through a laptop which is then connected to the desk but now we are getting problems with some of the tracks skipping,i know it sounds wierd how can a track on a laptop skip but thats what it sounds like,does anybody have any ideas what could be causing this or how to prevent it .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You're better off asking this in the laptops forum. Could be anything, you know what computers are like.

What kind of laptop is it? New/old? Have you tried using different software to play the backing tracks?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 alan62

Cheers for that just posted it on laptops,as for the laptop its about 4 years old and wouldn be up to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fusionmusic

It could be that you have the volume on the laptop too high and it's peaking, causing the skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I've heard of something similar happening to professional multitrack recorders at shows. Make sure you fully isolate the laptop, there may be very low bass frequencies from the PA causing problems for the laptop.

Any band I know who uses backing tracks to augment their instruments use MP3 players. Less that can go wrong. Unless of course you're using soft-synths live from the laptop or you're somehow interacting with the sequencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 alan62

Cheers for that,but the reason i dont use mp3 player is i found i couldn play 1 track at a time it just ran into the next song,which was a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭vinniefly

hey,

your laptop is more than likely due a ram upgrade.. go 2 www.crucial.com and scan your system on the website 2 see how much ram it will support. its pretty easy 2 install just take a tutorial off the same website. will only cost about €30 and will arrive in a couple of days in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Toneranger

Yeah it sound like the ram needs upgrading you might have too much stuff going on and the laptop can't cope.

Also when using any kind of sensitive equipment live especially, like turntables and laptops, a few vibrations can be the difference between a good gig, and a disasterous gig.
    Make sure the surface is firm and vibration free. If it's near the base bin or kick drum that could be trouble. Put a rubber mat underneath a solid table and there should be no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Schultz

Used to happen to a band I was in a while back. The guy who did all the tracks switched to mini discs in the end and hasn't looked back since, he's had far less problems with them and they're easier to control.

Advertisement