Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Software For Making Comic Strips

Options
  • 25-04-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering if there's any free software out there for making comic strips. Something that comes with some generic stick men, callouts / speech bubbles etc. Very drag-and-drop-y would be best.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Your prob looking for something like Comic Life but I've no clue if there's a freeware version of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've seen a few flash-based programs that do what you ask, but the problem with every single one of them is that you end up with horrendously generic-looking "comics" that are so devoid of anything even approaching their own style that you may as well not bother. (I'm thinking of things like MakeBeliefsComix, StripCreator, and WittyComics here, but I'm sure there are plenty more out there).

Honestly, even if you only manage stick figures a la XKCD, you're better off drawing them yourself.

All of that being said, I've just remembered Balloonist! - it's not quite what you're looking for, but it lets you make comics from pre-existing images and then add word balloons/etc. It's not free, but I think you can install the program on a trial basis without having a licence. Whether it's any good is a different question though, and one I can't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Thanks a million everyone

A friend of mine has Comic Life on a Mac so I'll give it a go and see if it's what I'm looking for.

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement