Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does you guys know Gp2x wiz???

Options
  • 25-04-2009 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi~ I'm really intersted in Gp2x wiz.

But Problem is.. I suppose It's made smaller business..

Of course they said "we'll make good games~!"

But I wouldn't believe them.. even I'm Korean. (It's made in Korea)

Actually The reason Why I'm attracted this machine..

1. Emul games.
    2. AMOLED..

Just Two of things..

Anyway I attach the link from youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODqOl-Y9dg

This is my first time to write thread thing..
    So Let me know If I violate the rule.
    Cheers~

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Wiz sure looks like a nice piece of kit, the discussion of emulators is not discouraged as far as I know, the chipping of consoles and instructions on pirating games and where to get them can earn a ban as far as I am aware.

As I said though, the Wiz seems pretty cool, would need to see how good the emu's really are on it and what the battery life is like first before I would buy one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

I have one. I had the precursor machines also ... the GP32 and the GP2X. The Wiz is very similar to the GP2X ... slightly faster, better screen, better controls and buttons, built-in battery.

Megadrive emulation is close to perfect, ST and Amiga emulation is excellent and the various 8 bit emulators for the Spectrum, C64 etc are all very playable. There is a PS1 emulator which I don't run, but it's apparently impressive as well. There are shedloads of homebrew games and remakes, some of which are very high quality, and some which are very poor ... finding out is half the fun.

I run Mame (0.34 romset), Dr.MDX (Megadrive) and a variety of 8 bit emulators ... battery life is pretty good for the size, but it drains under heavy load especially if you overclock. Under normal use I'd expect 8-10 hours on a charge.

The Wiz really is a nice machine ... but I wouldn't buy one now :) I'm waiting (still) for the Pandora ... which is due REAL SOON NOW!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

On a bit of a odd question,how is the video and music on the wiz?

The speakers are small, so it's never going to be a boom-box ... but with good headphones you can listen to music quite happily. The linux based OS deals with mp3 files and there is a rudimentary file handler built in. You can blank the screen during playback, so you extend battery life.

The screen is very good, for the size, and it's clear & responsive when playing games / video files.

I don't watch too many movies on the Wiz ... the screen is capable of 640 x 480, but most of the tools and movie players I've read about use 320 x 240. So you're probably talking about downscaling movie files to fit. The device is capable of downscaling on the fly, but it's supposed to be heavy on processing and impacts on battery life.

If you wanted to watch movies or tv shows while travelling, I think you'd be happy enough, especially as the scaled down files don't take up a lot of space (300 mb ish), but you won't use this device as the heart of your home entertainment system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caps424

CiDeRmAn// I'm Sorry about talking Emul. My weakness was short on idea. Sorry Again.

trout // It's very interesting! Cause gp32 is very old model and also Korean people, they didn't know about gp32.. I'm just wondering How did you know that? and where did you get gp32? Did you buy in Korea?

appleidog// You can check official site "www.gp2xwiz.com" I think It's pretty much not bad..

Anyway They've been booking Wiz until 30.Apr in Korea.
    If I buy it, they'll give me a good thing.. Maybe present..
    Leather case, Lcd Protecter, strap set, metal sticker..
    Also It's cheaper than Europe.
    I'm addicted this machine. I really want to buy this one..
    But But.. Problem is "Now I'm in Dublin!!!!!!!!!" kk
    I'll tell you guys after I'll see the review!!
    Have a good night~

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

emulation is fine, it's the roms and the copywrite thing that can get you into hot water, I'm a past emu fan myself, been using MAME since 98 so, I'm not being critical,
    No Worries, yeah?

Brother (kerbdog) got the Dingoo A320 and a very nice little console it is, it looks like a larger GB Micro with the finish of the DSlite.
    It seems to play, quite well, CPS1/2, Megadrive, Nes, there's also MAME and Snes, PC Engine and many other emus for it already, although it's a little hard to find them right now.

If the machine measures up I'll buy one myself, 90 with duty

caps424 wrote: »

trout // It's very interesting! Cause gp32 is very old model and also Korean people, they didn't know about gp32.. I'm just wondering How did you know that? and where did you get gp32? Did you buy in Korea?

I found the GP32 while looking for clip-art as part of a training course ... quite by accident. I was looking for something on MegaDrive emulation and found a link to an emulator which had a GP32 port ... and it all started from there :)

There is, or was, a reseller in the UK ... they also carried the GP2X and the Wiz. I can't remember the site ... will post back if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

trout wrote: »
    a reseller in the UK ...

http://www.gbax.com

I've got all my handhelds from this crowd.

The GP2X still gets a turn every so often.

Really looking forward to the Pandora Handheld...

Just remembered ... the UK reseller I used in the past ... http://gp2x.co.uk

Advertisement