Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coravaddy Forest

Options
  • 25-04-2009 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Good day all

I'm not from the local area of letterkenny.

But since I visited coravaddy forest recently, I was curious as to the reason why it wasn't exploited to its full potential as a local park for lettterekenny, being in proximity.

This land of donegal has so much potential as a place to go and relax from the local town/city.

My query however is in regards to mountain biking.

Could donegal be developed for mountain biking? nothing like the following..but maybe someday with the enthusiasm?

(excuse the music, turn it down ;) ) this sport of mountain biking is popular in other countries, but not here in donegal, Ireland why so?

Best regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lack of population,lack of interest,lack of a champion in coilte. i've taken to road cycling again cos all the mountain trails go into the mountains and stop. also when you have roads through coilte forests they block them usually to try and stop scramblers.
    bord failte have no idea about mountain biking, they can't have seen wales or glentress, they think biking is people cycling round with panniers.
    I also rarely see people with road or mtb's when I'm cycling round so theres no perception of the possibilties, people are shocked when I paid £125 for wheels for my bike tell them the average road bike in the uk is 1000+ they'll laugh at you. a few thoughts anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

weiss wrote: »
    Good day all

I'm not from the local area of letterkenny.

But since I visited coravaddy forest recently, I was curious as to the reason why it wasn't exploited to its full potential as a local park for lettterekenny, being in proximity.

This land of donegal has so much potential as a place to go and relax from the local town/city.

My query however is in regards to mountain biking.

Could donegal be developed for mountain biking? nothing like the following..but maybe someday with the enthusiasm?

Best regards

+1 agree, we have the raw materials in place but lack th infrastructure. Enjoy the mountain biking myself. But even for walking or hiking, there seems to be not decent maps out there for the public to get their hands on to. Map like they have when you go skiing even, different route colour coded would be great. Also some decent signs would also help alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Have to plead ignorance here and ask were is Coravaddy Forest? is it the forest between Drumkeen and Letterkenny? And is it planted or natural?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

I also rarely see people with road or mtb's when I'm cycling round so theres no perception of the possibilties,

No offence, but I think you're being a bit too negative here..
    There are plenty who would be interested, the main problem is getting owners of land to allow such an activity.
    And if you mean no MTB on letterkenny roads, thats because its pretty dangerous.. IMHO.

I believe a man locally in Letterkenny is trying to find land owners who would agree to MTB..but its been difficult for him so far.

I've been talking with various people about it and they've expressed a genuine interest.

It isn't unimaginable, its just that there is nowhere can be used currently.
    people are shocked when I paid £125 for wheels for my bike tell them the average road bike in the uk is 1000+ they'll laugh at you. a few thoughts anyway

I agree that there is an attitude amongst some of the youth who think you're crazy to spend 1000+ on a bike..but thats probably because there are no decent facilities to make it worth your while.

I'm actually considering buying a Trek Fuel Ex 8, which is about 1600+
    But then where am I going to use it? thats 1 reason why I might not bother for now..

The nearest place I can think of is Gortin Glen just outside Omagh, so to get there from letterkenny, you obviously need transport.

There was a competition there almost 2 years ago, but since the forest cutting started again, alot of trails were ruined.. :(
    Have to plead ignorance here and ask were is Coravaddy Forest? is it the forest between Drumkeen and Letterkenny? And is it planted or natural?

ITM 615006,906228 (if thats any good, its the first entrance)

its mainly planted forest..

TBH, its not the best place for mountain biking..but since there are some walking trails out there already, it could be developed more for MTB

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

We take our dogs there for a walk as we aren't allowed go to the current park under lead control and by all accounts, the new Ballymacool park.

We've rabid beasts by the way who like to attack....

Oh no sorry that is certain people's opionion..
    We've 2 lovely dogs that are vaccinated, wormed, de-flead, chipped and kept under control at all times...

I'm not being sarcastic at all by the way in relation to the parks....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We take our dogs there for a walk as we aren't allowed go to the current park under lead control and by all accounts, the new Ballymacool park.

We've rabid beasts by the way who like to attack....

Oh no sorry that is certain people's opionion..
    We've 2 lovely dogs that are vaccinated, wormed, de-flead, chipped and kept under control at all times...

I'm not being sarcastic at all by the way in relation to the parks....:)
    Can we keep this on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

Oops sorry for getting side tracked on that topic...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

Another place i spotted was a woods near lisnennan court/meadow hill..and up around killylastin.

Anyone know who owns the woodland around lisnennan court area, its beside the old UNIFI factory, site of where new hospital being built.

Think that's owned by the consortium that bought the unifi site. The forest around the large old house (still there) that was part of unifi is definitely owned by the them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wasn't Corravaddy earmarked for a super dump a while back? What happened to that scéal? MTB around the rubbish - could be a new sport of kings...

Wasn't Corravaddy earmarked for a super dump a while back? What happened to that scéal? MTB around the rubbish - could be a new sport of kings...

Yeah it was, but the council scrapped the plans after public outcry. They tried to get planning for one out near Gartan a couple of years ago, but the planning authority blocked it. Dont know where their planning for it now, but i'd say they'll be trying their best to keep it quite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

I think you'll find the big and most prominent problem with all these sort of ideas is insurance, insurance, insurance, driven by a rife money grabbing and compensation culture in Ireland.

Bord Failte etc's hands have been tied on this and things like walking ideas for years as farmers etc do not want to be liable, and still are in most cases.

Maybe in a few years time the CAB will take action on people making fradulent insurance claims and seize their assets.

For now changing the law for people involved in outdoor persuits be responsible for themselves and their own insurance would help open up the country.

Advertisement