Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong

Options
  • 24-04-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've an old laptop with only about 128MB of ram and now I want to install a linux OS instead.

I've downloaded Puppy Linux and the problem I'm having is is trying to create a live CD but can't seem to get it to boot on start up and I think my problem is the way I'm creating the image file on the disk.

Here's what I'm doing.

Downloading the ISO file eg: puppy-4.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso

I am using Power ISo and BurnCC to burn the cd

wholefile.gif?t=1240595813

I've tried extracting the the download here
    number2pic.gif?t=1240596470

And still no luck (probably nothing to do with luck just doing it wrong:o)

The Bios on the laptop is configured correctly as I have an UBUNTU disk that will boot on start up from it, but there's not enough resources on the laptop to tun it.

I've wasted a couple of DVD-R and am using DVD-RW and I've tried CD-R. I've read the installation notes a few times but just can't get it to work

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You got a usb key lyin round there, UNetbootin

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

You shouldn't need to extract the iso.
    At least that is my experience using other burning programs.
    I doubt that your laptop's BIOS will support booting from USB.
    If I were you I'd pick up a CD-RW in the morning and try again. Maybe try another burning program like CDBurnerXP. Have you checked the MD5 sum? Should be available on the Puppy Linux download page.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ya just burn .iso straight to disc, dont extract
    i use active iso its free and works 100% every time

http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Tillotson wrote: »
    You shouldn't need to extract the iso.
    At least that is my experience using other burning programs.
    I doubt that your laptop's BIOS will support booting from USB.
    If I were you I'd pick up a CD-RW in the morning and try again. Maybe try another burning program like CDBurnerXP. Have you checked the MD5 sum? Should be available on the Puppy Linux download page.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

The laptop BIOS won't boot from the USB but I tried from my other laptop with the USB and It booted fine, (couldn't configure the wireless but that's another day).

I checked the MD5 sum and its think its fine and as it worked on the flash drive I'm guessing the download is intact.

I have the Disk working now and the flash drive on my own computer but the old laptop just won't pick up the disk on boot up which is surprising as it will for my ubuntu disk:confused: it is an old laptop and the bios is limited, the Ram says it's 2003. Any ideas why it's not picking it up

Its a friends old laptop that some windows files are corrupt and all they use it for is surfing the net and I was hoping to get this to work on it for them.

Thanks all again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

For anyone else that has the same problem.

The laptop only had a CD drive so it was a bit pointless burning DVD-RW's on to it:o, nipped out and got a CD-R and it's booting fine now on the old laptop.

Puppy Linux is a nice little system, very fast and nice user interface doesn't seem as clunky as Ubuntu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Did Puppy manage the internet connection OK?

Advertisement