Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber for outdoor use

Options
  • 24-04-2009 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend the best/reasonably priced/available timber for an outdoor project. i know cedar and iroko are fairly weather proof but i dont think the cedar is durable enough and i dunno about the iroko pricewise. im thinking oak is a pretty good bet. its used on windows etc so im guessing its weather proof with some/minimal treatment.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Pretty much any timber will last, even softwoods if they are treated properly with preservative and given a fresh coat every few years. What is it that you are making? Is appearance important? ie would you want a nie oak piece, or would pressure treated deal be adequate?

Oak will certainly last, it'd have to betreated of course. Only downside to oak being that its expensive, not that easy to work with, ie requires very sharp blades etc. Teak is the ideal outdoor timber, thats why its used in external doors, some garden furniture etc, its cheap enough, but it isnt good on blades, wears them down pretty quick.

I think its all down to what it is that you are making, pressure treated deal (the stuff decking is made of) would do the job and be resonably cheap. Oak, would look great appearance wise, will last (longer than you and I! :P) but its dear, heavy and harder to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

its for a garden swing. the last one was softwood and even though it was treated regularly it rotted. dont fancy the pressure treated softwood, if its going to last i want it to look good. i would have thought oak would be common enough in ireland and so cheaper too, with teak being expensive no?

thanks for the advice, ill check some timber merchants for prices.

Advertisement