Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Sheperd Ears not standing up.

Options
  • 24-04-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Looking to know from other GSD owners please.

I have a 7month old male GSD purebred but no papers. I saw his parents before i purchased and they were fine specimens.

Anyway my lads ears have not stuck up straight and they are still floppy.

It does not bother me too much as he is a superb pet and thats all i want but just curious to know from other owners will my lads ears stay floppy forever or is there a chance that as his head stil grows his ears may mature too?

one GSD expert has told me he looks to have floppy ears for future and htis is a sign of being non-purebred.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

A lot of german shepherds ears dont stand up. If you google it you will see what people do is glue them, or tape them. I had this problem before and i was talking too a vet, it is legal to glue them or tape them in ireland but considered un-ethical. I left mine as they were. I know a lot of the 'know alls' you meet will be saying hes not pure but they can come from champion bloood lines and stil have floppy ears or even seen a few with oone ear up and one down. If you contact the german shepherd club of ireland (i dont have addres but it comes up on google) they will tell you that some shepherds ears wont stand up fully until there a year old. All the best with your dog:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi there, i wouldnt worry too much really. He could be teething which can cause the ears to go floppy or not sit right. Give him another few months and they should come up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Thanks folks.

I will post some photos soon in the pet pics section he is a fantastic dog in every way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

I had my 3 month German Shepherd pup at the vets yesterday and we asked him what the story was as one of her ears is floppy and the other stands up straight. She looks hilarious! Anyway he said that they do eventually stand up, but when their teething they may flop down again.
    Apparently, they can be quite slow to mature. Dont worry it will probably stand up soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sharps

Hi there,
    I am researching lately to find a reputal german shepherd breeder in the Cork region but so far no success, I am wondering can anyone here help me out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

German shepherds ears flop when teething .As for them not standing up being a sign of not being purebred thats nonsence .They may come up or they may not .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

sharps wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I am researching lately to find a reputal german shepherd breeder in the Cork region but so far no success, I am wondering can anyone here help me out?

http://policedetectiondogs.com/index.html

Annacarton Kennels. Annacarton Bridge Watergrasshill Co. Cork. (021)4827028

German Shepherd Ireland Duhallow Branch ogduhallow@gmail.com (029) 78072

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

gsd`s ears do go through a lot of changes as pups while teething and growing, but judging by the age of your pup i cant see them coming up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Neala is close to 8 months old....she had one up and one down at 3 months, by 4 months they were both up but one would flop occasionally. By 5 months they were up and staying up.

I know someone whose dog (not a GSD) is supposed to have erect ears, but it's 10 months old now and one is still floppy.

I reckon your boy's ears will stand eventually- he could be just a 'late developer'!!

But the so called GSD expert who told you it was a sign of a non-purebreed is full of erm....wrong info....:rolleyes:

Advertisement