Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nights Is the best game sonic team have ever made

Options
  • 24-04-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

Thats right I went there and i mean it:D

now just to make things clear I'm talking about the Saturn version now.

nights.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah it's very good but it's also very short. Not a patch on Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles.

A smidgeon better than the new sonic the hedgehog :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Sure it is short but the Game play Is Perfect it is a perfectionist dream, And also Sonic and Knuckles was not sonic team :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's great, but I preferred Burning Rangers, sorry, just did/do!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Burning Rangers has aged dreadfully, it's pretty bad nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The use of the Saturn analog controller was genius for that game.
    saturn_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Good memories, got this with the controller in 96/97. Tbh I preferred the sonic games, I guess because the gameplay was less focused, Nights I think is like a racing game, you have a set track you do laps around and collect globules to proceed to the next part under a fairly strict timer. Whereas with sonic you could mess around in the levels a bit more and there were sub games which made it more fun. I also preferred the style of sonic to Nights which even when I was 11 I felt it was a bit too much aimed at kids. Though that said Nights is an original game with some great gameplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, Nights was fun, have it and the analog controller, not a bad combo.
    Have to say though, I was initially disappointed, I was playing Mario64 around the same time and grumbled a but when the flying was only confined to a 2D plane, the walking around bit was all well and good, but it was as Nights that the game really "took off" and the lack of that 3D freedom seemed almost insurmountable.
    But age and wisdom soothed me, it was shown that by limiting the remit of the game mechanics you enriched the flying, allowing the player to be creative and, oddly, feeling free-er than ever.
    The locations visible in the levels that weren't accesible on your "course" only spurred you on to get to the next so you could visit them, wonderful.

The Wii version was so wrong, I mean, all they had to do was render the original game in sharper visuals, keep the rest of the game intact, level design, audio etc. and we'd be quite happy.

Ah well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

By the way, if you think Nintendo created the analogue stick they didn't. Sega were previewing something that looked almost exactly like that Saturn controller back in the Mega Drive days.

apparently atari was the first, but who cares, the saturn 3d pad is fantastic.
    :D And nights man has kept me addicted to the game there is one level where in theory on one stage you can do a infinite combo, its the first course of the girl on stage 3.

and about Sega and there controllers

six button megadrive pad/Sega saturn pad

Sega saturn 3d pad/Dreamcast pad

Dreamcast proto pad/ Wii controller

there very similiar, and on the subject of the 3D saturn pad does anyone have any documentation or knowledge why the wire can come out was there mean't to be a wireless receiver on it?

Actually, the first common home use Analog stick was the joystick for the BBC B computer, it was analog all the way baby!

• Advertisement

Now you see why i used the word apparently.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

nice avatar appleidog

edit its gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

While I love Nights I do think Sonic 2 was a better overall game. While not Sonic Team's best game I believe Chu Chu Rocket deserves an honourable mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i am so pissed about 1 thing, i missed out on consoles between snes, megadrive all the way to ps1 a lot of reasons medical if you must know meant i missed a lot of great gaming! have i really missed that much like saturn dreamcast n64 etc?:(

Well, to be honest nowadays alot of the best stuff on saturn and Dreamcast have been ported to the PS2, not all of the best stuff but alot has

like Street fighter alpha series (saturn/Dreamcast)
    King of fighters series (saturn/Dreamcast)
    Metal slug series (Saturn)
    Resident evil code veronica (Dreamcast)
    Nights (saturn)
    sega rally (Saturn)
    street fighter 3rd strike (Dreamcast)

Also Xbox live arcade has some really good games on there from the Dreamcast / Saturn

Like Soul calibur
    Trigger heart elexia
    Ikaruga
    Puzzle fighter 2 turbo remix hd

As for n64 the wii has alot of good games on the virtual console.

Thats hardly all the best stuff on the saturn though. Nights never got ported and so far the only way to play any of the 3D games on the Saturn is on an emulator or an original saturn. All the excellent quirky japanese games are still obscurities that can only be played on the saturn and dreamcast and it's these games that defined the saturn and dreamcast for me, not the handful of extremely popular capcom and sega games that did get a western release.

Tried Virtual On XBLA edition last night, at least the demo, and I have to say, it's really dated, the graphics are very angular, and the gameplay very simple, not sure it's worth the points at all.
    I'd like to see an updated Mechwarrior 2/3 from the PC circa 96 please, I loved that game, the flight sim feel, rather than the arcade titles released on the Xbox.

1746.gif

What did you say about nights not being released on ps2.
    I was not saying that they best saturn/ dreamcast list i was just listing some of the popular games that have been on both and that is a short list, dont get me wrong i love the saturn with games like in the hunt, Kieo flying sqaudron ect.

And fyi metal slug never got a european release,

ps i dont want this to turn into a flame war cause i was just mentioning a few games that were on both and now on the ps2. if i wanted to have a serious debate about it i would but i was just saying that a PS2 has quite alot of the most popular games on the saturn that most people when they buy a saturn or dreamcast would go for.

I'm not trying to start any arguments I'm just saying that I think that most games on the saturn are a unique experience and at the moment can only really be enjoyed on the saturn.

Didn't know about the PS2 nights. Also it looks like it's saturn emulation which is very strange but good news since hopefully we'll see some ports of saturn games in the future.

I myself believe that to, but most people as soon as they get a saturn they will get the games I mentioned, I was not talking from my heart when i wrote that Post, I was just generally saying that alot of saturn/dreamcast games have come out on ps2 now that is all. I play saturn more then any of my consoles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement