If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panny 42G10

Options
  • 24-04-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

John/Ash,

Can you give me a quote for the Panasonic TXP42G10 plasma? It's on the richersounds.com site so I guess you have some in stock?

I'm guessing it doesn't have MPEG4 but given Boxer falling through God knows when we'll have digital telly over the air around here anyway!

Thanks,
    Oliver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dr.Glockenspiel

I happen to be in the market for a 42 inch plasma TV as well.

Could someone from Richer Sounds NI give me a quote on the Panasonic P42X10 please - is it available to collect from the NI store? It's listed on richersounds.co.uk for £619.95 [E685], but not on richersounds.ie.

The 42G10 is listed on richersounds.co.uk for £979 [E1083]. I know it incorporates some fancy new picture enhancing/energy saving technologies, a sat box and is full HD - but I'm not convinced that this makes the TV worth E400 more then 42x10 [though admittedly, I'm on a tight budget].

See some reviews of the 42X10 here:

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/panasonic_tx-p42x10.htm

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2009/03/29/Panasonic-Viera-TX-P42X10-42in-Plasma-TV/p1

http://www.trustedreviews.com/video/Panasonic-Viera-TX-P42X10B-42in-Plasma-TV - Good video summation

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Panasonic-TX-P42X10B/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr-vRII44FE

Also, are there other low-mid range 42 inch plasmas from other manufacturers coming on the market over the next month or two, which might be worth waiting for to appraise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I'm also interested in the 42" G10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It says these are out of stock on the website. Any estimate as to when they'll be back in? Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

John/Ash,

Can you give me a quote for the Panasonic TXP42G10 plasma? It's on the richersounds.com site so I guess you have some in stock?

I'm guessing it doesn't have MPEG4 but given Boxer falling through God knows when we'll have digital telly over the air around here anyway!

Thanks,
    Oliver.

DIgital TV is already on over here in most parts of country, I am using my z81 pana with mpeg4 and looks great. The Free DTT should still be rolling out

TheDriver wrote: »
    DIgital TV is already on over here in most parts of country, I am using my z81 pana with mpeg4 and looks great. The Free DTT should still be rolling out

It's not "on" as such, it's in testing phase. Not officially available to the general public, although you can pick up the trials. See the Terrestrial forum for more info! It's not available to most parts of the country though. Only around the East.

• Advertisement

Biro, its available from all the main transmitters since March, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Midlands, Waterford etc so lot of people could pick it up.
    Point is there is no reason why it won't be launched, just maybe not the pay tv part and hence mpeg4 is imperative to get on a new tv, especially an expensive one as the OP suggested he needn't bother with mpeg4 with boxer being gone.

Biro, its available from all the main transmitters since March, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Mayo, Midlands, Waterford etc so lot of people could pick it up.
    Point is there is no reason why it won't be launched, just maybe not the pay tv part and hence mpeg4 is imperative to get on a new tv, especially an expensive one as the OP suggested he needn't bother with mpeg4 with boxer being gone.

There's still plenty of gaps in the service though and signal areas!! :)
    You're right though, it will be going ahead without the boxer deal anyway, as RTE have to change to digital, and an MPEG4 tuner is essential to pick it up.
    The problem with the Panasonic however is that officially the Irish version has an MPEG4 tuner and no satellite tuner, and the English version has a satellite tuner, but officially doesn't support MPEG4 via it's digital tuner.
    I want the UK version though, cause I'd make more use of a satellite tuner than a terrestrial tuner, for which there'll be boxes available to convert the signal anyway when it launches for the public. There'll have to be, cause probably 80% of the TV's in peoples homes won't have an MPEG4 tuner. Most won't even have a digital tuner!

I presume boxes will be everywhere but nice if you don't need a box. My z81 doesn't officially have mpeg4 for dtt according to Pana but works perfectly, epg and all as it also has mheg5 for the satellite. Coupled with ability to decode and show HD signals (I presume) which RTE may do for matches etc, I feel well placed having everything. If you were in border county then it can also do mpeg2 for freeview and you could stay watching tv all day and night!
    I presume chipset in g10 is same but just tv is different, much neater having less boxes hanging around under the tv, especially if you want to wall mount the thing.

I presume boxes will be everywhere but nice if you don't need a box. My z81 doesn't officially have mpeg4 for dtt according to Pana but works perfectly, epg and all as it also has mheg5 for the satellite. Coupled with ability to decode and show HD signals (I presume) which RTE may do for matches etc, I feel well placed having everything. If you were in border county then it can also do mpeg2 for freeview and you could stay watching tv all day and night!
    I presume chipset in g10 is same but just tv is different, much neater having less boxes hanging around under the tv, especially if you want to wall mount the thing.
    I agree, the less boxes the better, and I'm hoping that the G10 handles the MPEG4 thing the same way as the PZ81 did!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi all.

Just going to try and cover most of the queries on this one :

Stock availability on Panasonic is quite poor at present.

We currently have 42X10's in astock in Belfast and we can honour the website price, but they are only available in-store.

42G10's - We have had a few in, but our warehouse in the UK is presently out of stock and it's looking like a bit of a wait for some fresh stocks.

Last years PZ series did in fact have an MPEG4 tuner which was not advertised in the spec and this year seems no different as we have heard from some customers that they are getting MPEG4 from the G series, although we are getting this info second hand.

Oliver - In relation to the price queestion, we honour the UK site and the current price is £945.

I hope this helps, but if I have missed anything or if you need any other info, just shout !

All the best.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Any idea of a rough time frame for the G10? 2 or 3 weeks type of time or 2 or 3 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

At this stage it's looking like 2-3 weeks.

Cheers

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bluerhino76

Thanks Dave! Have you any reports of the G10 successfully decoding MPEG4 over DTT? It's not a deal breaker but it'd be great to know that extra box wouldn't be needed.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.