Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superstitions in poker

Options
  • 24-04-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

Just writing this to see if i'm the only weirdo out there whose success in poker is based around ridiculous superstitions.

My first one began last summer during a online session where i was hitting very little and playing my good hands poorly. I usually have some sort of background music on, be it my I Pod or in this case 2fm. My attention was brought to one song that came on because it was different to the usual music they play. It was Enya 'Orinoco Flow'. As soon as the song came on i woke up with KK and got payed off and got AA and KK's again before the four minutes and 29 seconds lapsed.

I quickly logged onto You tube and found as much Enya as i could and to my amazement i kept on running like Usain Bolt in a race with 9 white down-syndromes for the remainder of the session.

Since then i find myself always coming back to Enya everytime I play and I genuinly think i'm a better player when its on as terrible as her music is. I have two schools of thought on this:

Theory 1: Enya's music possesses magical qualities that leads to +ev
    Theory 2: Probably more realistically- her music triggers positive and successful thoughts in my head which in turn help me deal with beats better and not tilt as often and this cant be bad.

My other weird superstition is when i'm playing live i always have to spin the button when its on me. If i some how forget to do this it literally cant get it out of head for hours, and there's no amount of spinnig it twice on my next turn that will quell the demons in my head.

Just wondering am i alone in my insanity or does anyone else have quirky superstitions that they want to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I like to sit on the left of Oberon and The Chief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

I like to fold my poor hands and call or raise with my good ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Would Usain Bolt actually run any better with said Downs' in a race against him? Seem's a bit disheartening to me.

Thread of the Year btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

Visit-your-GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

FeetMagic wrote: »
    Visit-your-GP.

You-visit-the-fkin-keyboard-doctor!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I'd rather lose money than listen to Enya tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

I never open toilet doors by the handle when leaving , I'm superstitious that others don't wash their foooking hands
    I cover my ears when someone reraises the general, I'm afriad of deafness
    I turn up the volume in my ipod when 'FISH' sits down anywhere near me.
    I never bluff aanyone over the age of 50.
    I never try to outfox Paddy Hicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I never open toilet doors by the handle when leaving , I'm superstitious that others don't wash their foooking hands

+1 i have ocd aswell willie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

cuterob wrote:
    +1 i have ocd aswell willie

yep me too

If I'm wearing short sleeves I'm often struck dumb staring at the door willing it to open

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

DeadParrot wrote: »
    yep me too

If I'm wearing short sleeves I'm often struck dumb staring at the door willing it to open

Just use ur foot? I presume you have shoes on when you're out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Lao Lao wrote: »

I don't know why but that line is the funniest thing I have read in ages.
    ROTFLMAO! Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Newsflash: Humans have immune systems and in general won't die if they touch a door with some germs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

but what if the door opens inwards?

anyway, seems a bit silly making a big deal out of the whole thing, even if u make it past the door unscathed you're still going to sit back down at the table and handle cards and shuffle chips for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Running hot and cold i.e. your bad beats and suck outs coming in streaks. I believe in the phenomenon but have difficulty explaining it from a playing style or stats point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

zuutroy wrote: »
    Newsflash: Humans have immune systems and in general won't die if they touch a door with some germs on it.

logic never comes into it

YULETIRED wrote: »
    I cover my ears when someone reraises the general, I'm afriad of deafness
    I turn up the volume in my ipod when 'FISH' sits down anywhere near me.
    I never bluff aanyone over the age of 50.
    I never try to outfox Paddy Hicks.

In case anyone has an immune system that extends to thier sense of humour, the above post doesn't really keep me awake at night.

you know who you are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

cuterob wrote: »
    logic never comes into it

yep, i'll happily bungee jump, parachute jump, scuba dive and go climbing cliffs and all sorts
    just dont tell me i might be touching someones fecal matter or piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

have to jerk off before every live mtt.... standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

I believe its unlucky to be superstitious

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Christy Brown doesn't open doors but if he did.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

If Daft Punk is playing i win if not i lose.

Also if Zac is there i play bad.

Poker is rigged

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭mormank

enya is not shyte!! she is actualy very good at the type of music she records. just like every genre of music there is good and bad music within it! take old skool dance music, nowadays alot of people yearn for the auld days of music but lets be honest, there was a lot of shyte out in the nineties but it has long since been romantisiced...do i have the s and c mixed up in the word romanticised?? no i dont think i do...people often look at me and think, ooh he's a hard man, he is in the army. but i can be soft, i can be sensitive, wasnt shcindler's list a great movie!!..wait a sec, what was i talking about?? oh yeah, enya.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

mormank wrote: »
    enya is not shyte!! she is actualy very good at the type of music she records. just like every genre of music there is good and bad music within it! take old skool dance music, nowadays alot of people yearn for the auld days of music but lets be honest, there was a lot of shyte out in the nineties but it has long since been romantisiced...do i have the s and c mixed up in the word romanticised?? no i dont think i do...people often look at me and think, ooh he's a hard man, he is in the army. but i can be soft, i can be sensitive, wasnt shcindler's list a great movie!!..wait a sec, what was i talking about?? oh yeah, enya.......
    Sorry, that was way too much to read imo.

Enya is self indulgent shyte, that only people with a sembelance of musical understanding can truely appreciate, of the whole Brennan Clan her music is the least authentic and this is saying something.

FYP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

has anyone seen my blue glass marble??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Yeah got a stupid few things i do :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

lol Gareth quotes, i approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

If I pass a priest on the way to a game I will turn around and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

zuutroy wrote: »

NewsFlash Extra::P

The handle of public toilet doors will have the germs of 100's if not thousands of urine samples (toilet door handles are not on the cleaning list of most establishments)
    urine containing any and (almost) all dodgy stuff you have in your system
    thats a couple of 1000 samples to play roulette with every time you open a door

NewsFlash err like Extra but different in a smart ar*e way

Drunk/under pressure peoples immune systems tend to be taking the night off
    +:eek: Drunk/under pressure people touch their mouths a LOT

But yer right, immune systems good, never touching germs and weaking immune systems bad
    suck it up people!

as for Superstitions

I like to get suckedout on by an awful hand just before the money in big tourni's
    and get suckedout on by an awful hand just after the money in small tourni's
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

dougee19 wrote: »
    have to jerk off before every live mtt.... standard

Are you saying you j*rk off DURING on line MTT's?

Would explain why you sometime push with 63 suited during the first level of blinds:rolleyes:

Advertisement