Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to learn

Options
  • 24-04-2009 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Playing full ring sngs at the moment and I know I'm way behind other players as I'm not the mathemathical type of person. But I need to seriously rectify this soon otherwise I won't make any sort of progress. Can someone throw up a list of things I need to know to move from novice to intermediate? Pot odds/implied odds/etc...I'm out of touch with all of this. Will it take long to implement it into my game? I usually multitable too so I should probably take one table at a time for the moment...

Thanks.

Comments

Read the stickies at the top of the forum for a start.

Then stop playing full ring and start playing 6-max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

Then stop playing full ring and start playing 6-max.

Why?

To OP, as Kayroo said, read the stickies here and on 2+2. Then play, review the session after and post hands that you had problems/were unsure of. Rinse and repeat. There is no magical frmula for suddenly turning your game around. It takes work and patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I'm quite happy with full ring tbh. I used to play 6 max last year. I went through some of the stickies but there's no definitive list of what you should know when a beginner/intermediate.

Lurker1977 wrote: »
    Why?

Maybe it's just a personal thing but you play many more hands, it forces you to be more active and kicks you out of a comfort zone.

I have been playing some micro stakes 6-max and I have found my game has improved no end.

Get a copy of Colin Moshmans SnG book and then figure out what hands you are going to be opening from EP/MP/LP/Blinds at each stage, obv dependent on whether there are a lot of raises/3bets but at lower stakes I would imagine it is much more passive. I would think that 75% if not more, of beating small stake FR SNG's is preflop selection alone though I dont play them so this is by no means definitive

• Advertisement

Maybe it's just a personal thing but you play many more hands, it forces you to be more active and kicks you out of a comfort zone.

I have been playing some micro stakes 6-max and I have found my game has improved no end.

Then by this logic we should be playing HU?

I do agree that in FR you see less hands and most confrontations are going to be between 2 strong ranges etc wheras at 6max there is a more agresssive preflop approach but not everybody likes playing 6 max and there is no reason he cant be profitable at FR.

I'm quite happy with full ring tbh. I used to play 6 max last year. I went through some of the stickies but there's no definitive list of what you should know when a beginner/intermediate.

You need it all really.

Start with simple concepts and threads like this.

Then make sure you cover pot odds, continuation bets, and calling 3-bets pf.

Also, start to read the Micro Stakes and Small Stakes forums on 2+2. (NOTE: The linked forums are for Full Ring games specifically. Also, you should recognise that the Small stakes forum is more advanced than the micro stakes forum and, just as you would not move up levels in poker without being ready, nor should you move too quickly to the strat in the small stakes forum without properly taking in the advice in the micro stakes forum)

GL.

Lurker1977 wrote: »
    Then by this logic we should be playing HU?

I do agree that in FR you see less hands and most confrontations are going to be between 2 strong ranges etc wheras at 6max there is a more agresssive preflop approach but not everybody likes playing 6 max and there is no reason he cant be profitable at FR.

Perhaps, it's simply been my experience that you improve faster at 6-max.

Advertisement