Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood burning oven

Options
  • 24-04-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi,
    was wonderin if someone could help me find, yellowy subsoil,i need it for the yellow clay.im tryin to make an outdoor wood burning oven to make pizza,breads etc.
    have all the other items i need to make it,but just cant seem to get my hands on the subsoil.
    the easiest place to get it would be building sites but most of them are closed now.
    i live in dublin and would appreciate any suggestions you might have,
    thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭still

I am looking to make one of those also and plan on getting the soil from the building site next door (just like we did for the raised beds), they will drop it ver the side wall into our back garden.

What sort of quantity are you looking for? we are in Kilkenny so ont really feasible to get it to dublin that easily but if your interested let me know and ill see if i can get the quantity you need. Not sure about the colour of it though.

Id be interested to know what design for the oven you plan to use (any Kiko Denzer) and what other materials you plan on using for the construction.

All the best

Still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chocomarshmallo

hi still,

thanks for the reply..
    would it be possible for you to check the subsoil from the site next door?
    if its yellow subsoil(which would be from a few feet under the top soil)
    and when you pick it up and squeeze it,maybe add a small bit of water to it too,if it crumbles its not the right soil,but if it feels like putty,then it should be perfect!
    i need about 50kg,and if this is the right subsoil and if you could get that amount for me,i'd gladly make the trip to kk to collect it.

i saw an english programme on the tv,where a guy roots around skips and recycles stuff,so he made a wood burning oven.
    he used a pallet,fire bricks,sand,newspaper and clay.
    basically you get a pallet,top it with firebricks, make a dome shape out of sand on top of that then place wet sheets of newspaper on the sand and put the clay about 4 inches thick around the sand dome til its all covered.
    cut out a door shape and remove.cover the oven for 2weeks to shield from the rain and for it to dry.Then when its dry scrape the sand from the inside and its rready to fire up and use!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Has anyone tried this successfully?

I was looking online for ones and found this
    http://www.fireitonline.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=7915

but would rather do it from scratch myself.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

To anybody still trying to source clay.

If you haven't got a building site going on near you (the best and cheapest source of clay is what comes out of trenches)...and can't find any locally, then Turf suppliers will usually sell clay....it should be no more than 20 euros a ton. Very often if there are canals in your region they will stock 2 sorts of clay. Puddling ....the blue/grey clay which is used on canals and is perfect for the first layer (mixed in a ratio of 2 sand to 1 part clay with a little water.....and brown clay perfect for the second layer again mixed with sand and water but with straw added for it's thermal value.

Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

My husband and his mate just finished making one at our place. Its still drying out so we haven't actually fired it up yet. There's also one at my kids' school. For anyone embarking on this project, please do not underestimate it...It took way longer than they had anticipated (working only on weekends around the weather), and for that time our garden was destroyed with mounds of clay and baths, wine barrels and buckets with clay in various stages of soakage and drying. I know that you're supposed to get all of the clay from the same source or it can crack when fired up (as happened to one friend who tried to make one). Also the one at the kids' school is quite (too) small- I would say go as big as you can without losing heat from the opening- remember you can also use it to roast meat and baked potatoes etc so you want to be able to fit a good sized joint in it. And don't forget if you want it to last more than a couple of seasons then you need to build some kind of roof over it. We got the clay from a riverbank btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 cannyfradock

Rosie

I've built a Pompeii oven before but I would love to take on a Clay oven build. Have you any photo's of your Clay oven?

Here's my Pompeii http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=2058

Terry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Rosie

I've built a Pompeii oven before but I would love to take on a Clay oven build. Have you any photo's of your Clay oven?

Here's my Pompeii http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=2058

Terry

wow, that is impressive! ours is a bit more rough and ready, the lads were learning as they went. We have some pics but they are still on the camera. Will post them here when I get a chance

Advertisement