Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade/GameRoom Music

Options
  • 24-04-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Whats the ultimate arcade room/games room playlist ?

Talking about music from 87 to 92 in my case. Anyone got any songs that 'bring you back' to the golden days in your seaside arcade ? :)

I want to compile a list of songs that coudl play in the background when playing Twin Cobra or Track & Field on my arcade cab :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Well you gotta have some street fighter themes! Most memorable are probably Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Guile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Yeah but what chart music was playing over and over back then ?

There are some cool mp3s of arcade games mixed together for a decent arcade experience but what actual music gives you those retro goose bumps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Oh you mean chart music, sorry i thought you meant game soundtracks! I can't remember....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Try to find the relevant NOW or HITS compilation albums from those years and it will give you a good idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just listen to the game music!

Or play the bubble bobble theme constantly

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just listen to the game music!
    Ah yes but I want both :D Was thinking along the lines of Def Leppard.
    Or play the bubble bobble theme constantly
    hmmm. Guess what I'll be humming for the next week :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

brianon wrote: »
    hmmm. Guess what I'll be humming for the next week :(

I have it as my ring tone, which was a stupid thing to do.

My ringtone is the Tetris theme :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Some nerd in America made a compilation of 'arcade ambiance' style background noise for playing over your home sound system. Alot of the arcade machine collectors use it. It's tape recorder transfers of some guy walking around an arcade in the 80's and the various bleeps, melodies and snatches of people talking that was going on in there.

Wheres the link? I can't remember.

Now that I think about it.. I was around the arcade around 89 to 92. Trying to remember what they played. Mostly pop music. There was definitely an older kid who could recite the entire rap from Snow's Informer which impressed the rest of us. There was another arcade where the guy only had two CD's which meant you'd listen to Blackstreet and that French world music/downbeat dance type group.. were they called Exile or Enigma or something like that? They're still going now. Other than that it was whatever the radio was playing. Snap Rythm Is a Dancer.. that kind of thing. Just download Now 21 back to about Now 15 or so and you should be covered. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

A lot of my retro gaming experience takes place from about 1987-1990, so the following tunes come to mind:

Games Played from that period: Wonder Boy, Outrun, Gryzor, Pacland, WWF Superstars, Street Fighter (the original), Final Blow, Hang On, Captain Silver Gauntlet II, and Rastan.

Music:
    Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
    Salt N Pepa - Push It
    Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love (usually played by the girls who were queuing to play Pacmania)
    Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
    Level 42 - Heaven In My Hands
    Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine (and Patience)
    Belinda Carlisle - Circle In The Sand
    INXS - New Sensation
    Paul McCartney - My Brave Face
    Nenah Cherry - Buffalo Stance

And those are only the ones off the top of my head. 80s arcades were fun, even when you ran out of coins, there was always the jukebox banging out the tunes for as long as you could avoid the bouncers kicking you out for not spending any money, lol. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    A lot of my retro gaming experience takes place from about 1987-1990, so the following tunes come to mind:

Games Played from that period: Wonder Boy, Outrun, Gryzor, Pacland, WWF Superstars, Street Fighter (the original), Final Blow, Hang On, Captain Silver Gauntlet II, and Rastan.

Music:
    Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer
    Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
    Salt N Pepa - Push It
    Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love (usually played by the girls who were queuing to play Pacmania)
    Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now
    Level 42 - Heaven In My Hands
    Guns N Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine (and Patience)
    Belinda Carlisle - Circle In The Sand
    INXS - New Sensation
    Paul McCartney - My Brave Face
    Nenah Cherry - Buffalo Stance

And those are only the ones off the top of my head. 80s arcades were fun, even when you ran out of coins, there was always the jukebox banging out the tunes for as long as you could avoid the bouncers kicking you out for not spending any money, lol. :)

Oh lol, Tiffany, Belinda Carlisle haha :) ffs, I just play whatever music I'm into at the moment, which is right now, A Perfect Circle, woot!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Oh lol, Tiffany, Belinda Carlisle haha :) ffs, I just play whatever music I'm into at the moment, which is right now, A Perfect Circle, woot!

Don't get me wrong folks, these were songs playing in the jukebox at our local arcade at the time. Bad as those sound, they sure as hell were better than the crud that got shifted onto the jukebox in the early 90s. 2 Unlimited anyone?

That jukebox did have a fairly decent mix, between GNR, Jovi, Whitesnake, Poison etc, for 1989, that was actually damn good compared to some jukeboxes that played non stop New Kids On The Block! :)

By comparison, we were actually blessed.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    2 Unlimited anyone?

How dare you. Still one of the best live bands going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    How dare you. Still one of the best live bands going :)

Eh ?

No no.... no no no no .... no no no no .... no no ... tecno tecno tecno tecno.

Whatever gets you going I suppose :D

They are actually pretty crazy shows with a lot of people going crazy trying to relive their youth. I've heard the Venga Boys gigs are on par as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I remember Peter Cetera - Glory of Love. It used to be always playing when I was having a game of Choplifter in the chipper in Ballymahon, waiting for my school bus in the evenings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 WeakSignal

brianon wrote: »
    My ringtone is the Tetris theme :o
    i got super mario.. heavy metal version.. as my ring, and normal as txt. lol:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,451 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about some chiptune artists? There are absolutely loads of great ones.

One of the most easily accessable guys and deff worth checking out would be Bitshifter -

Advertisement