Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Su elections

Options
  • 24-04-2009 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Seems the student union officer election campaigning has begun. Doesn't look like those running have much more to offer than previous years. And the elections are tuesday, so I doubt there will even be hustings. It is a bloody joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gmcthechamp

well there are two people out of my class going for positions and they seem to have a few ideas for change. does not seem like the usual crap you hear every year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Seems the student union officer election campaigning has begun. Doesn't look like those running have much more to offer than previous years. And the elections are tuesday, so I doubt there will even be hustings. It is a bloody joke.

Stop moaning and do something about it then. Like putting yourself forward for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Would love to, but I dont think I would be particularly good at the job. Though I saw posters for a candidate this afternoon that I will be voting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Seems to be the same type of lads running every year.

Not sure who I'll vote for.
    None of the guys who were on the union this year anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Do you ever read posters fully? The elections are on tuesday and wednesday week, the hustings are on friday at 12 in the canteen. Thats according to the posters i've read.

I completley agree with teferi it is alot easier to write stuff on the internet and complain. I respect the fact that you admit you wouldn't do a good job, so i'd ask you to please stop complaining about the people who do have the courage to stand for election. No one goes into any job with the intent to do it badly.

I'm similar to you in the way that i wouldn't run for election but its because i'm too shy, so i don't complain about anything i'm not willing to try change myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

I've never taken notice of the SU crap. Although I do like writing stuff on the posters in the toilets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butter_cup

Are all the members of this years SU running again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

butter_cup wrote: »
    Are all the members of this years SU running again?

Don't think all of them are, but i've heard one or 2 of them are though

The Education Officer's running for President.
    And two of the part timers - clubs and socs & internal ents guys are running again.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I completley agree with teferi it is alot easier to write stuff on the internet and complain. I respect the fact that you admit you wouldn't do a good job, so i'd ask you to please stop complaining about the people who do have the courage to stand for election. No one goes into any job with the intent to do it badly.

I get where you're coming from on this, but from interviewing the guys who ran for The SU last year before the elections, I can safely say that while they may not have run with the intention of doing a bad job, they did run for a lot of wrong reasons.

Not going to quote them.

I think a lot of girls, in particular, in the college are unhappy with the current union.
    You're not seen as a person, more an object.

I just hope people running this year are running for different reasons than the guys last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I heard the treasurer did quite well this year.

I get where you're coming from on this, but from interviewing the guys who ran for The SU last year before the elections, I can safely say that while they may not have run with the intention of doing a bad job, they did run for a lot of wrong reasons.

Not going to quote them.

When I interviewed Adolf Hitler I came to the conclusion that he would be a good leader for Germany.

I'm not going to quote him though.

You're not seen as a person, more an object.

:rolleyes:

Just saw the posters for the female candidate today, and I have to say it's great to see.

I think it would be fantastic for girls in the college if a girl was on the SU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butter_cup

I second that! I think it would make a huge difference.

butter_cup wrote: »
    I second that! I think it would make a huge difference.

Because she has boobs?

Teferi wrote: »
    Because she has boobs?

Duhhhh!
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Iunno who I'm voting for. This years SU didnt do much really, and it's my first year. Yknow you've done a bad job when people who've only been in the college a year don't like the job you did.

Teferi wrote: »
    Because she has boobs?

I have to agree with you again Teferi, i can see alot of girls in the college voting for eva. I don't see what difference it makes what sex you are, you can still do a bad job if your a girl. I think i've narrowed it down between Gary and eva, I think mark ward will be just there for the pure entertainment side of things, i think that the entertainment started to slide when he was ext. ents. I've read a few things on Gary's poster that i agree with if i do vote for him he'll have to answer 2or3 of my sticky questions very well at the hustings on friday.

I think that it would be good to have a girl on the union, it would bring a different perspective, and I think girls would find it easier to speak to another girl about issues.

I also like the issues that Eva seems to have addressed. Seems interesting. I'm not really sure of what issues some of the others are running on, but I am looking forward to the Hustings. I don't really have anything invested in the elections, because I won't be here next year. But it's still pretty interesting to see what's gonna happen, and I will most definitely be using my vote.

I wonder how many students vote in the college, cos I know a few that just can't be bothered.

I think Eva has a good chance because loads of girls will vote for her because "it would be cool to have a woman on the SU".

I don't think her policies are great though. "We need more computers" seems to be the main one she is spouting - the computer scientists generally don't have problems getting computers in our labs. Maybe the first years the odd time because the other years have more important projects but they manage anyway.

I'll prob vote for her anyway because it seems like the lads just want a piss up for a year and girls are generally better at organising stuff though.

And because she has boobs.

• Advertisement

I think the hustings are going to make the final say.

Personally think it's between Eva and Mark Ward.

I actually think Mark would make a good president because he's good at organising events and seems to know what students want.
    He organised a big college social earlier on in the year by himself, independent of The SU, because college entertainment was lacking.

Must have taken a lot of effort on his behalf, so fair play to him.

Eva has a good chance too though, think a lot of people genuinely want a different sort of SU than this year's.

I think the hustings are going to make the final say.

Personally think it's between Eva and Mark Ward.

I actually think Mark would make a good president because he's good at organising events and seems to know what students want.
    He organised a big college social earlier on in the year by himself, independent of The SU, because college entertainment was lacking.

Must have taken a lot of effort on his behalf, so fair play to him.

Eva has a good chance too though, think a lot of people genuinely want a different sort of SU than this year's.

What social did mark ward organise at the start of the year? What i don't understand is that everyone is going on about the entertainment side of things, when thay are talking about the presidents job. Surely thats the internal and external ents guys job.

How come him and some of the people he is running with have logos on their posters? I'm looking forward to when the manifestos go up, thats when i'll pick the people i'm voting for.

I'm not completely sure, but I think some of the logo's that are on the posters is because they got sponsorship of some sort. Not entirely sure though.

I'm not completely sure, but I think some of the logo's that are on the posters is because they got sponsorship of some sort. Not entirely sure though.

Are you serious? I would not be happy with that at all, basicallly outside businesses trying to get their canadiate elected :mad: :mad:

I think the Metro sponsored some of them. The name seems to be on the t-shirts and such. I can't definitely say though, cos I haven't asked people or such.

I'm liking the way some of the posters have the candidates issues outlined on them. It would be an idea for them all to do that. They may have, but I have only seen three candidates with it.

They may have gotten sponsorship so as to spend extra on getting posters printed up and such. There are a few candidates that have really plastered the place in their faces!!! :D

I think the Metro sponsored some of them. The name seems to be on the t-shirts and such. I can't definitely say though, cos I haven't asked people or such.

I'm liking the way some of the posters have the candidates issues outlined on them. It would be an idea for them all to do that. They may have, but I have only seen three candidates with it.

They may have gotten sponsorship so as to spend extra on getting posters printed up and such. There are a few candidates that have really plastered the place in their faces!!! :D

I'm not very happy about that and i will be asking them when i see them next.
    I don't really think thats fair on eva and the other team if the other candidates have thier posters paid for. Basically mark ward is just giving them advertisment, their must nbe a conflict of interest. i think it should be a level playing field.

I'm not really sure how the campaigning is organised. I would think that the candidates should only be allowed spend a certain amount, and all expenses should be accounted for. It would make it fairer, and avoid giving anyone an unfair advantage.

I also agree that outside sponsorship should not be allowed. I don't think external companies should really have a stake in the elections, and it does make you wonder what the business get from the sponsorship. I assume that if they are sponsoring then there must have been an agreement that the company would get something if the candidates get through.

It's the same type of lobbying that takes place in countries across the world, but it's really not right. Hopefully the candidates that are successful, are so because of their policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mean machine

i think the union this year were terrible so any one who is elected will make a difference. all we want is better socials...gary hasnt a clue

no way man

• Advertisement

its between marks team and evas team id say, some tin new....

Advertisement