Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor ads on BBC News Website

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I got Korean Airways, lucky dip I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I got it. It is most likely an ad from an ad server and Meteor didn't restrict it to Irish sites or something or figure Irish users will be on BBC's site rather than they are expanding to the region though.

It does say available in Dublin and Cork only and coming to your area soon. If your in the UK, I wouldn't hold my breath :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Perhaps the site just detects what region you are in and people in the UK will never see the ad. Like how I've seen loads of Eircom broadband ads on billboards in Burnout Paradise on Xbox 360. That was a bit strange:D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Geographically positioned advertising. It's not new nor a shocker... :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Adverts are definitely goetargeted ie. because you are in Ireland, show you ads for Ireland.

Examples today: Doyle Hotel ad on guardian.co.uk
    Vodafone Ireland on ft.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Don't you all use the adblock plugin in FF?

croo wrote: »
    Don't you all use the adblock plugin in FF?

I add exceptions for sites I visit a lot that only have ad revenue as income.

Otherwise they'll go under. Obviously if the ads are really intrusive, I'll leave it on though. Doesn't really matter since I never click ads online I suppose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

And the BBC advertise? I wonder why they can't advertise on TV and it's ok on their website? I had always assumed it was to be impartial .. obviously not.

And the BBC advertise? I wonder why they can't advertise on TV and it's ok on their website? I had always assumed it was to be impartial .. obviously not.

I'd say it is because the ads are served by a third party so they don't know who is advertising on their site. They just get a cut so they remain impartial. Website has to pay for itself somehow too :D

Guess it isn't covered by the TV license fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They CAN advertise on TV, and Do. Ever seen BBC World TV*, BBC Prime etc?

These are deliberately not available in the UK. In the days before FTV cards and then later FTA BBC satellite, you could in Ireland subscribe to BBC Prime, but not in UK**.

Similarly the web site uses geoIP and serves adverts according to country. None if in the UK.

So nothing new, nothing to see, move along ...

(
    *Nothing to do with BBC World Service, TV or Radio as that is Foreign office funded and BBC World TV etc is under BBC Enterprises/ BBC Worldwide. The BBC also has interests in the UKTV /Flextech channels, Discovery Network and some Travel book company.

** You probably still can subscribe to BBC Prime here. But why would you anymore?
    ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement