Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collared Doves nesting on my balcony.

Options
  • 23-04-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

I have a pair of collared doves who are regulars on my balcony.
    They actually successfully nested on my balcony last Summer :)

Last Saturday morning (the 19th of April) just before I hit the road to Mayo, I noticed them building once again in a woven flower basket attached to the balcony.
    One egg in the nest on Tuesday the 22nd. So far I have not had a chance to see if she laid one more. They raised 2 chicks last summer.
    Here are 2 photos taken since Saturday.

22/4/09 : Dove sitting on nest
    2941783690102176936S425x425Q85.jpg

22/4/09 : Egg in nest
    2638955010102176936S425x425Q85.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oh wow, that's so cute! We have collared doves visiting our garden and I love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Dizzy it was really exciting last year when they nested for the first time. I feed them all the time and the couple always sit all day cooing. I love them.

They were rather clever this year as they have some cover from the flower box overhead. Last year was tough as it rained the whole time they were on the nest.

Hers a link to last years thread on a gardening forum about them.
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1654.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great pics. I had to do a double take on the nest with the egg as I thought WOW some size of a nest for a Collared Dove! Then I realised it was the usual half dozen twigs thrown on top of your flower basket - they really don't go in for serious house building do they. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sundew wrote: »
    Hers a link to last years thread on a gardening forum about them.
    http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1654.html

That's amazing Sundew, and you got great photos of them.

Advertisement