Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in the UK

Options
  • 23-04-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been keeping an eye on the uk autotrader for a while and there seem to be some very goods deals out there for second hand campervans, myself and the hubby are seriously considering taking a few days over there to try and find one. Anyone got any advice/experience of doing this? We're thinking of maybe finding some private sales that we like in the one area then taking in a few of the local mh dealers. I do realise that it may take more than one trip but it would seem to be worth it, they're so expensive here. From what I can see, €25000(our max) will get you a decent 6 berth. Also, what paperwork to I need to take care of if we do decide to buy?
    Any advice welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We found ours on Ebay about 3 yrs ago. Private seller located in Manchester so it meant we didn't need to rent a car etc. After a few emails and phone calls we arranged a viewing. Figured because it was 3 yrs old it should be in good condition (which it was). It met out requirments and we drove it home.
    We brought a sterling draft over with us and did a vehicle check to ensure no outstanding finance etc.
    On purchase we received the V5 document which is presented to the VRT people to allow us to register it. Also had to have the MH weighed to ensure over 3000kgs for reduced vrt.
    All in all a very pleasant transaction and we still send the previous owners an occasional postcard from our travels (sad or what?).
    Do have a look around Ireland & NI before committing as they are getting cheaper. I'm sure you could haggle a good bargain waving €25K cash at a dealer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭leana

Thanks Stapeler, if it we get as easy a buying experience as you had I'll be well happy:) We do keep an eye on here and NI, I have seen the odd good deal from time to time in private sales but the dealers still seem ott. We've visited one dealer here in the northwest, he has a great selection of stuff and I'm sure the aftersales service is excellent but even when we talked cash he was still big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi Leana,sent you a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dynaman

Hi
    First of i would like to hello to all you Irish motorhomers.
    Im living on the other side of the border in N,Ireland
    I notice your checking Autotrader for motorhomes, have you thought of checking the Autotrader for motorhome in N,Ireand,i check through it all the time and some bargains to be had,notice alot of them are traders but still some bargains out there at the moment.
    Check the following two dealer for used motorhomes.

http://www.thompsonleisure.com/

Bought a motorhome from the above, it was sale price, but still got another £1500 knocked of the sale price.

Here's another dealer in the North.
    http://www.hagansmotorhomes.com/

Garry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Is it just me or what,but i dont see any real deals on either of these 2 sites,have been doing alot of looking around lately and deff think private is the way to go for a purchase,i know you wont have the back up that you have with a dealer but if you take your time and view with someone that knows there stuff i think you can make a great saveing at the minute by going private.In some cases compareing like with like we are talking 8/10 grandish:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Toyota1968

does anyone know where you can look up the weight of a motorhome - would hate to buy a good one and discover it was 200 kgs short of the 3000kg limit - could spoil a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Practical Motorhome of Motorhome Monthly (cant remember which one) available from Easons. There's a section in the back that to lists almost every motorhome out there with weights, length etc etc.
    On the www the best option is to google zillions of pages.

Advertisement