Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking fines

Options
  • 23-04-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

Here is my story, I have amassed about 8 parking fines on my car I had parked outside my house in a disc parking area of cork city.

Basically, my car broke down, couldnt find the log book and had to wait for this before getting it scrapped. I scrapped it now but in the mean time I think I have got 8 fines X €90!!! I didnt not realise I got the fines until about 3 days ago as they were posted to my old address. I presumed they would clamp the car if they saw it so said I would risk 1 clapming fine...

Ok I know it is totally my fault and I probably will have to pay but I am just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and if so have you managed to get the fines reduced or anything?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

JJf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You dont have the car anymore and they dont know where you live. ;)

Hhhhmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Maybe a call to the council's fines office with documentation ye may be able to sort it out and pay a reduced amount. Dont know if this has been done before but worth trying.

Not having a go at you and I do keep rabbiting on to people about this, but it is your responsibility to keep your vehicle records up to date at all times. It saves you and others alot of hassle down along the line as in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Of course, in Cork, they no longer print tickets and place them on your car.
    A lovely sneaky way of ensuring increased fine revenue from cases such as OP, where 7 extra tickets are issued before the OP is aware of the orginial one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Of course, in Cork, they no longer print tickets and place them on your car.
    A lovely sneaky way of ensuring increased fine revenue from cases such as OP, where 7 extra tickets are issued before the OP is aware of the orginial one.

If you dont park illegally there wont be any fines to "surprise" you.

If the car was registered properly he woudl have known anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Stekelly wrote: »
    If you dont park illegally there wont be any fines to "surprise" you.

If the car was registered properly he woudl have known anyway.
    really? Didn't think an Post in Tallaght had developed faster than speed of light delivery system. In the real world, post is delivered over night, and for most people outside of Dublin, does not arrive until after they leave their house for the day.

Simple scenario:
    Monday Morning: 9.00am. Car is spotted, ticket issued.
    Monday Afternoon: handheld device is downloaded to PC, Details check with Shannon, ticket printed and placed in postbox.
    Tuesday Morning: 09.00am. Car is spotted
    :10.00am. an Post deliver letter with fine
    Tuesday Evening: 06.00pm. Person arrives home to see first ticket.

ergo, at least one more fine issued before original fine arrives.
    Real world: Steps listed on Monday afternoon, do not happen that quickly, from speaking with people, it's about 2 week, min 1 working week, before letter arrives in the door.

It's lazy, sneaky, un-ethical, but to be expected from Cork City Co. If I ever recieve a parking or speeding ticket in Cork City Co area, I'll be triple checking all byelaws, as they've been found to be very lax in following the rules of the road, publishing speed limits, signing bye-laws and publishing in the Iris offiguil, even remvoing the double yellows of the road, for roadworks and not re-instating them, yet issuing tickets. 2 Prime examples: Tivoli dual carraigeway, outbound before the 100Km limit sign, was the commonest place in Munster to find gatso van, not any more, as the road designation and it's speedlimits were found not be valid in district court. Horgan Quay/Penrose Quay bus lane, the marked bus lane on Horgans Quay is not enforcible, as it does not meet the standard in the Rules of the road, and has not got any proper signage, only after Railway Street, does it meet the Rules of the Road for signage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement