Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Ra

Options
  • 23-04-2009 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Jazz in Silhouette: Fantastic album - and less cosmic than one might expect from the man who's passport said he's from Saturn. My first Sun Ra album was The Solar Myth Approach Vol I/II - incredibly insane tracks such as "The Satellites Are Spinning", which ends in an oddly hypnotic chant that would lead one to believe that the Arkestra probably is from Saturn. Not to mention Space is the Place - very strange film indeed. Sun Ra builds a spaceship powered on Jazz music so that he can save a select few people and take them to an Eden-like new planet.

Any opinions on Sun Ra?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Nutjob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Nutjob yes...but insanity doesn't stop you from making great music. At the very least your music would be interesting if it wasn't good. I'm a fan of sun ra, i have only listened to two albums though. I find it intimidating when someone has 30+ albums

Edit: Just checked him out on wiki. Over 100 albums, jayzuz it would take quite a while to get to grips with all those

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've been getting into him a lot over the last couple of years. I still haven't gotten Space is the Place but I recommend each and every one of the albums I do have:
    Secrets Of The Sun
    Strange Strings (lives up to its name, the last track is 15 minutes of a door creaking slowly!)
    Live In Paris At The "GIBUS" (great live show)
    Some Blues But Not The Kind Thats Blue (quite accessible and fun, nice version of "My Favourite Things")
    Greatest Hits: Easy Listening For Intergalactic Travel (good overview, a mix of his straighter jazz moments peppered with some of his more out there moments)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Daddio wrote: »
    Jazz in Silhouette: Fantastic album - and less cosmic than one might expect from the man who's passport said he's from Saturn. My first Sun Ra album was The Solar Myth Approach Vol I/II - incredibly insane tracks such as "The Satellites Are Spinning", which ends in an oddly hypnotic chant that would lead one to believe that the Arkestra probably is from Saturn. Not to mention Space is the Place - very strange film indeed. Sun Ra builds a spaceship powered on Jazz music so that he can save a select few people and take them to an Eden-like new planet.

Any opinions on Sun Ra?

Who says you can't be sensible and smoke large quantities of weed at the same time? This is living proof if ever I came across it.

Now where is my pink space suit ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

Indiana Jones moment last week when I listened to Lanquidity. There was a missing link but one huge jigsaw piece has been found. Funk, you owe this mad man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

I've always loved the percussion sections in his bands. Always have a real earthy groove. Anyone see the Arkestra play in Cork two jazz festivals back? Was quite a sight to behold!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've always loved the percussion sections in his bands. Always have a real earthy groove. Anyone see the Arkestra play in Cork two jazz festivals back? Was quite a sight to behold!

It certainly was some sight. I still haven't made my mind up what the hell was going on but I loved every minute of it.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭r.duke

i remember seeing sun ra in central park NYC years back, sonic youth was the opening act! they pushed him out in a wheelchair up to the piano, it was quite a show, it wasnt much later that he passed into the abyss....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

Check out the 1st video link when you type in Rahsaan roland kirk into youtube. Himself and Sun Ra were funky chickens to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

Nononolan wrote: »
    Check out the 1st video link when you type in Rahsaan roland kirk into youtube. Himself and Sun Ra were funky chickens to say the least.

There's another cabinet opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Bloody love this track. It may not be for everyone though, but wait until about a minute and a half in. Tasty stuff.

Advertisement