Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should i buy a rover 200?

Options
  • 23-04-2009 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

should i buy a 1999 1.1L rover 200, with 67,000 miles, 4 owners and nct'd till january 2011? and the car is only €650. why is it so cheap for all that? i'm only 17 and i'm looking for my first car to get experience before i take my full licence test in about 7 months. I heard that the head gaskets goes when the oil and coolant aren't checked regularly. i'm going to view it later on today, so any advice would be great.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

This is in P.I??

Well... If you buy one you will be in the depths of depression when the head gasket goes after a couple weeks driving, if your lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kingsley16

FearDark wrote: »
    This is in P.I??

Well... If you buy one you will be in the depths of depression when the head gasket goes after a couple weeks driving, if your lucky.

sorry i didnt know where to put it and i'm still a bit new to this site and its all confusing. where should i post this thread?
    well the mileage isn't a lot and the nct is quite good so i don't see why i should have problems after a few weeks. i'm good with cars and i know how to take care of them but the thing that leaves me curious is the price. the cars mileage is not too high a the nct is great so why is it so cheap? might
    there be any hidden problems with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

NO!!

You will most likely get serious trouble. It will end up costing a lot more than that price in no time at all. Don't waste your money I say. There is great value to be had now, but I'd be 99 per cent certain this is not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭sardineta

You should pay no more than €500 if a Private sale in Good condition; €350 if average and €225 in poor. At that price, it's a disposable car if it goes wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

kingsley16 wrote: »
    sorry i didnt know where to put it and i'm still a bit new to this site and its all confusing. where should i post this thread?
    well the mileage isn't a lot and the nct is quite good so i don't see why i should have problems after a few weeks. i'm good with cars and i know how to take care of them but the thing that leaves me curious is the price. the cars mileage is not too high a the nct is great so why is it so cheap? might
    there be any hidden problems with the car?

In the motors section, I wouldnt make a new post as im sure this one will be moved for you shortly.

Its here for future reference http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=47

Regaurding the Rover 200, they have notorious problems with head gaskets and I got caught rotten a few years ago with one that had only 60,000 on the clock. Apart from the fact that Rover doesnt exist anymore either... Honestly, if you were spending say 500 euro on this car youd be better off buying something like a Jap car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Personal Issues to Motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 1.1 was not so prone to blowing head gaskets as the bigger engines. If i'm incorrect, someone please correct me though.

Still, I'd have a Fiesta above it anyday. Miles better out there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

closed,

please answer the other thread with the same title

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement